Dress Code for PhD Visiting Weekend

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Phd
In summary, the conversation revolved around the dress code for a PhD visiting weekend. It was determined that business casual attire would be appropriate for both men and women, with some variation depending on the field of study. It was also noted that academics may have different opinions on what is considered appropriate attire.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Title says it all: what is the dress code for PhD visiting weekend?

Thanks so much!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

Title says it all: what is the dress code for PhD visiting weekend?

Thanks so much!

Josh
Nope. It doesn't say who visits whom from which faculty or industry branch, where on which occasion and time and to which purpose.

fresh_42 said:
It doesn't say who visits whom
Are you wanting to know if I am a prospective student or if I am a professor?
fresh_42 said:
from which faculty or industry branch
Mechanical engineering, but does that matter? I was trying to keep this post open for others who may have the similar question.
fresh_42 said:
where on which occasion and time
I didn't want to list the school; should I? And what do you mean by time?
fresh_42 said:
and to which purpose.
PhD visiting weekend.

joshmccraney said:
Are you wanting to know if I am a prospective student or if I am a professor?
Yep, almost. I wanted to know whether you are a PhD visiting something or if you are visited by one. I guess(!) the latter is the case.
Mechanical engineering, but does that matter?
Well, it might. Lawyers or Meds have other preferences as e.g. physicists or mathematicians.
Engineers usually don't attach much importance on dressing. And if you are a student, which I'm still guessing (!), casual will do. Perhaps a shirt without T.
I was trying to keep this post open for others who may have the similar question.
I didn't know you just want to discuss dress codes in general. In this case I have no recommendations.
I didn't want to list the school; should I?
No. But there is certainly a difference whether someone visits a school or a ceremonial act to give some professor an emeritus status.
And what do you mean by time?
You usually are dressed different in the morning or for a late night dinner.
PhD visiting weekend.
Whatever this means.

fresh_42 said:
Yep, almost. I wanted to know whether you are a PhD visiting something or if you are visited by one. I guess(!) the latter is the case.
I guess I have been ambiguous. By "visiting weekend" what I meant was that a university recently offered me admission to their PhD program and is having me for a few days to meet with their faculty. It is an all day event, presumably ending in the afternoon.

I don't want to be over dressed, but I am not sure just how formal to be. I figured since many of you have probably gone through this, what dress code do you recommend?

You can't go wrong with business casual. For guys this would be some kind of dress shirt, khakis, and shoes that aren't runners. Tie optional.

Most faculty probably won't care too much either way.

What about females?

Also, shoes that aren't runners? But I assume we're going to be walking around a lot... at least for mine I think there are a few tours scheduled (don't mean to hijack the thread).

Choppy said:
You can't go wrong with business casual. For guys this would be some kind of dress shirt, khakis, and shoes that aren't runners. Tie optional.

Most faculty probably won't care too much either way.

I dunno, one professor commented to me that a prospective student "looked a bit too fancy" when he was wearing jeans, a dress shirt and niceish shoes. :rolleyes:

But I agree that most academics won't care.

To give some more substantive advice: Presumably, if you're applying for grad school, you've interacted with academics in your chosen field before. Dress like that.

Dishsoap: For women, we're often more judged on what we wear. For physics, and if you're doing lab tours, sensible shoes, pants or a nice (mid length) skirt (I'd say pants were more expected in physics, but I also don't think we should be advising women not to wear skirts, so). A top that's nice but also professional. I'd not wear runners, presumably you have walking shoes that aren't runners? But if you don't, I'd go for runners rather than limping!

But really, if you're doing engineering or physics, I don't think this matters much at all. Don't wear a suit or a tie, don't wear a t-shirt that's full of holes. Anywhere in-between will probably be ok.

Note: This is also geographically variable.

What is the dress code for PhD visiting weekend?

The dress code for PhD visiting weekend varies depending on the university and department. However, it is typically business casual or professional attire. It is best to check with the department or the hosting university for specific guidelines.

Can I wear jeans to the PhD visiting weekend?

It is generally advised to avoid wearing jeans to the PhD visiting weekend. While some universities may allow it, it is best to err on the side of caution and choose more professional attire.

Do I need to dress formally for the PhD visiting weekend?

Formal attire is not necessary for the PhD visiting weekend, but it is important to dress professionally. This shows respect for the university and the event, and also helps make a good first impression with faculty and other attendees.

Are there any specific guidelines for footwear for the PhD visiting weekend?

Closed-toe shoes are generally recommended for the PhD visiting weekend, as they are considered more professional. It is also important to choose comfortable shoes as you may be walking around campus or attending various events throughout the day.

What should I avoid wearing to the PhD visiting weekend?

Avoid wearing anything too revealing or casual, such as flip flops, shorts, tank tops, or t-shirts. It is also best to avoid wearing anything with offensive language or graphics. Remember, the PhD visiting weekend is a professional event and you want to make a good impression.