1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dress Code for PhD Visiting Weekend

1. Feb 29, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

Title says it all: what is the dress code for PhD visiting weekend?

Thanks so much!

Josh

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Nope. It doesn't say who visits whom from which faculty or industry branch, where on which occasion and time and to which purpose.

4. Feb 29, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Are you wanting to know if I am a prospective student or if I am a professor?
    Mechanical engineering, but does that matter? I was trying to keep this post open for others who may have the similar question.
    I didn't want to list the school; should I? And what do you mean by time?
    PhD visiting weekend.

5. Feb 29, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yep, almost. I wanted to know whether you are a PhD visiting something or if you are visited by one. I guess(!) the latter is the case.
    Well, it might. Lawyers or Meds have other preferences as e.g. physicists or mathematicians.
    Engineers usually don't attach much importance on dressing. And if you are a student, which I'm still guessing (!), casual will do. Perhaps a shirt without T.
    I didn't know you just want to discuss dress codes in general. In this case I have no recommendations.
    No. But there is certainly a difference whether someone visits a school or a ceremonial act to give some professor an emeritus status.
    You usually are dressed different in the morning or for a late night dinner.
    Whatever this means.

6. Feb 29, 2016 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I guess I have been ambiguous. By "visiting weekend" what I meant was that a university recently offered me admission to their PhD program and is having me for a few days to meet with their faculty. It is an all day event, presumably ending in the afternoon.

I don't want to be over dressed, but I am not sure just how formal to be. I figured since many of you have probably gone through this, what dress code do you recommend?

7. Feb 29, 2016 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can't go wrong with business casual. For guys this would be some kind of dress shirt, khakis, and shoes that aren't runners. Tie optional.

Most faculty probably won't care too much either way.

8. Feb 29, 2016 #7
    What about females?

Also, shoes that aren't runners? But I assume we're going to be walking around a lot... at least for mine I think there are a few tours scheduled (don't mean to hijack the thread).

9. Feb 29, 2016 #8

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I dunno, one professor commented to me that a prospective student "looked a bit too fancy" when he was wearing jeans, a dress shirt and niceish shoes. :rolleyes:

But I agree that most academics won't care.

To give some more substantive advice: Presumably, if you're applying for grad school, you've interacted with academics in your chosen field before. Dress like that.

Dishsoap: For women, we're often more judged on what we wear. For physics, and if you're doing lab tours, sensible shoes, pants or a nice (mid length) skirt (I'd say pants were more expected in physics, but I also don't think we should be advising women not to wear skirts, so). A top that's nice but also professional. I'd not wear runners, presumably you have walking shoes that aren't runners? But if you don't, I'd go for runners rather than limping!

But really, if you're doing engineering or physics, I don't think this matters much at all. Don't wear a suit or a tie, don't wear a t-shirt that's full of holes. Anywhere in-between will probably be ok.

Note: This is also geographically variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook