Drink your children's blood for longevity

In summary, the study found that the mixing of young and old blood produced changes in both the young and the old mice's brains. For one thing, the older mouse in these pairs produced more new nerve cells in their dentate gyrus than solo older mice did. Additionally, the study found that the hormone production declines with age, and that the blood of other species has the same effect of rejuvenating the old. However, the issue with immunogenicity here is not danger to the receiver but neutralization of the drug's therapeutic effects.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Ok, well don't drink it, but they do owe you a couple years don't they?

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/august/aging-brain.html

"The mixing of old and young blood produced changes in both the young and the old mice’s brains. For one thing, the older mouse in these pairs produced more new nerve cells in their dentate gyrus than solo older mice did."

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Interesting study.

Very interesting. Would be interested in how they first came up with the idea. Actually this is a reoccurring story found in the documents of almost all cultures.

The way I heard it is that hormone production declines with age. Ingesting young blood with higher levels of hormones rejuvenates the old.

Next step would be to determine if the blood of other species has the same effect.

Pythagorean said:
Ok, well don't drink it, but they do owe you a couple years don't they?

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/august/aging-brain.html

"The mixing of old and young blood produced changes in both the young and the old mice’s brains. For one thing, the older mouse in these pairs produced more new nerve cells in their dentate gyrus than solo older mice did."

Interesting, unfortunately I'm having trouble with my internet at the moment and can't open the link. Do they have a hypothesis as to why?
Quickless said:
Very interesting. Would be interested in how they first came up with the idea. Actually this is a reoccurring story found in the documents of almost all cultures.

The way I heard it is that hormone production declines with age. Ingesting young blood with higher levels of hormones rejuvenates the old.

Next step would be to determine if the blood of other species has the same effect.

Unlikely on the latter without severe immunogenicity issues.

Ryan,

It seems "too much eotaxin causes aging" was the conclusion after testing several (66) immune-signaling proteins.

The effects arose out of the plasma, not the cells themselves.

Interesting study and definately a step towards the futur :)

Sounds like a pension plan in my country :P

Great study! I never knew that blood changes its properties with age (except of course, the development of more antibodies because of the more infections an older animal may have experienced) What other properties change with age and how? (any links?)

When I spend time with younger folks, I feel younger myself. I'm not drinking their blood, though!

I am not sure I understand the difference between plasma and cell? My guess – blood cell is the agent for carrying things around to the rest of the body, while plasma refers to what is actually being carried around. This would support the hypothesis that it is the hormonal content of younger blood that is initiating the effect.

With respect to immunogenicity issues – think rare steak. In less civilized settings it is still an honored tradition to drink the blood/eat the heart of animals going to slaughter. Would suspect that the effect being investigated is not species specific.

Quickless said:
I am not sure I understand the difference between plasma and cell? My guess – blood cell is the agent for carrying things around to the rest of the body, while plasma refers to what is actually being carried around. This would support the hypothesis that it is the hormonal content of younger blood that is initiating the effect.

With respect to immunogenicity issues – think rare steak. In less civilized settings it is still an honored tradition to drink the blood/eat the heart of animals going to slaughter. Would suspect that the effect being investigated is not species specific.

No, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_plasma" is the fluid that makes up the liquid component of blood. Eating something is different to injecting in, your body has evolved to destroy pathogens and break down food to avoid any issues. By injecting it you will definitely get immunogenic responses.

Quickless said:

Ryan is right. The gastrointestinal tract is designed to deal with foreign material. It keeps what it needs and throws out the rest. But direct injection into the bloodstream or tissue would elucidate an immune reponse.

Moreover the issue with immunogenecity here is not danger to the receiver but neutralization of the drug's therapeutic effects.

mishrashubham said:
... direct injection into the bloodstream or tissue would elucidate an immune reponse

I recommend that you look up the word elucidate.

phinds said:

I'm pretty sure that's a typo for "illicit".

ryan_m_b said:
I'm pretty sure that's a typo for "illicit".
I recommend you look up the word "illicit". :wink:

(I'm sure both of you were going for "elicit")

Hurkyl said:
I recommend you look up the word "illicit". :wink:

(I'm sure both of you were going for "elicit")

:rofl: Oops! I'm going to get my excuses out now and say that I've just gotten up and haven't had any tea yet...

phinds said:

Not again! This has been happening a lot lately. I did mean 'elicit' Hurkyl. I regret any confusion because of this mistake.

Thanks phinds for pointing it out.

Last edited:
So, it would be cool if they developed an eotaxin blocker. (With no side effects, please.)

zoobyshoe said:
So, it would be cool if they developed an eotaxin blocker. (With no side effects, please.)

Yikes! I hope not, Eotaxin is involved in many different functions including (IIRC) the proper behaviour of leukocyte extravasation. The biggest nightmare in investigating biology is that everything performs several functions. You might find a gene that increases incidence of cancer also is important for the formation of the lung and the migration of cell type X.

Ryan_m_b said:
Yikes! I hope not, Eotaxin is involved in many different functions including (IIRC) the proper behaviour of leukocyte extravasation. The biggest nightmare in investigating biology is that everything performs several functions. You might find a gene that increases incidence of cancer also is important for the formation of the lung and the migration of cell type X.
In that case, forget I suggested it.

Ryan_m_b said:
:rofl: Oops! I'm going to get my excuses out now and say that I've just gotten up and haven't had any tea yet...

Freudian slips happen all the time.

But that is an interesting study.

1. What is the basis behind the claim that drinking your children's blood can promote longevity?

The claim that drinking your children's blood can promote longevity is not based on any scientific evidence. It is a dangerous and unethical practice with no proven benefits.

2. Is there any truth to the belief that drinking your children's blood can transfer their youth and vitality to you?

There is no scientific evidence to support this belief. In fact, consuming blood can be harmful as it may contain bacteria and viruses that can lead to infections.

3. Are there any potential risks or side effects of drinking your children's blood for longevity?

Yes, there are many potential risks and side effects of consuming human blood, including the transmission of diseases, allergic reactions, and damage to the digestive system.

4. Are there any alternative methods for promoting longevity that are scientifically proven?

Yes, there are many scientifically proven methods for promoting longevity, such as maintaining a healthy diet, regular exercise, and avoiding harmful habits like smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.

5. What should I do if someone is promoting the practice of drinking children's blood for longevity?

If someone is promoting this dangerous and unethical practice, it is important to educate them about the risks and lack of scientific evidence. It is also recommended to report any individuals or organizations promoting this practice to the appropriate authorities.