Drive line inertia and torsional effects exam question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations for inertial forces in gears, specifically the relationship between torque, rotational velocity, and moment of inertia. The speaker suggests apportioning an effective moment of inertia to shafts B and C to account for their relative rotation rates, and calculating the rotational kinetic energy and moment of inertia for each shaft to determine the total effective moment of inertia for the system.
Alistair McCheyne
upload_2016-5-7_13-44-52.png

Hi can anyone help me with this question on inertial forces in gears?
Cheers
Ali :)

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-7_13-44-7.png
    upload_2016-5-7_13-44-7.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 567
Engineering news on Phys.org
For every shaft [itex]i[/itex], you get:
[tex]\sum T_i = I_i \alpha_i[/tex]
And for every gear [itex]i[/itex] connected to gear [itex]j[/itex], you get:
[tex]\frac{T_{i\ out}}{T_{j\ in}} = \frac{N_i}{N_j}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\alpha_i}{\alpha_j} = \frac{N_j}{N_i}[/tex]

This gives you 7 equations with 7 unknowns ([itex]T_{A\ out}[/itex], [itex]T_{B\ in}[/itex], [itex]T_{B\ out}[/itex], [itex]T_{C\ in}[/itex], [itex]\alpha_A[/itex], [itex]\alpha_B[/itex], [itex]\alpha_C[/itex]).

i would be tempted to apportion an effective moment of inertia to shafts B & C (this takes into account the relative rotation rates)

Select an arbitrary rotation rate for shaft A (say 10 rad/sec)
Calculate the rotational KE of each shaft at this rate
The effective moment of inertia of shafts B and C you calculate by comparing the KE values to that of shaft A
For example :
The KE of shaft A at 10 rad / sec = 75 joules
The KE of shaft B at 5 rad / sec = 0.625 joules, so its effective moment of inertia = 1.5 * ( 0.625 / 75 ) = 0.0125 kg . m^2
Repeat for shaft C then add A, B and C for total effective moment of inertia of the system

What is drive line inertia?

Drive line inertia refers to the resistance to changes in rotational motion in a drive line, such as a vehicle's drivetrain. This inertia is caused by the mass and distribution of components within the drive line, and it can affect the performance and efficiency of the system.

How do drive line inertia and torsional effects affect vehicle performance?

Drive line inertia and torsional effects can impact vehicle performance in several ways. They can affect acceleration and deceleration rates, cause vibrations and noise, and impact fuel efficiency. It is important to consider these factors when designing and optimizing a vehicle's drive line.

How are drive line inertia and torsional effects measured?

Drive line inertia and torsional effects can be measured using various methods, such as dynamometer testing, computer simulations, and physical calculations. These measurements can provide valuable information for improving the design and performance of a drive line system.

What are some common ways to reduce drive line inertia and torsional effects?

There are several techniques that can be used to reduce drive line inertia and torsional effects. These include using lightweight materials, optimizing component placement and design, and implementing vibration dampening systems. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper lubrication can help minimize these effects.

How do drive line inertia and torsional effects differ between different types of vehicles?

Drive line inertia and torsional effects can vary depending on the type of vehicle and its specific design. For example, a front-wheel drive vehicle may have different drive line inertia and torsional effects compared to a rear-wheel drive vehicle. Additionally, the weight, size, and power of the vehicle can also impact these factors.