Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driver Car Seat Motion Mechanism

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1
    Hi All,

I'm working on a design of a seat for a simulator, the seat should include the motion mechanisms like the one in a car which Includes the slider, recliner, and the mechanism responsible for the vertical motion of the seat. So my question is
    I want to buy these mechanisms and integrate them into my design to save costs and time, however I can't find the companies who manufacture the required components. I searched on the net for 'slider' and 'recliner' however it didn't get me results of manufacturers. Does anyone know the name of the manufacturers of the mechanisms or how can I get them?
    Further, with regard to the mechanism responsible for the vertical motion of the seat, my biggest problem is that I don't know the technical name for this mechanism, if someone knows it will be very useful (to locate the manufacturers).

Thanks,
    Yaniv

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2010 #2
    A 'simulator'? What are you trying to achieve by this 'simulator?

Are you simulating the movement of a car seat in a testing capacity, so just testing the acutal seat? Or is this a simulator to train a driver?

4. Aug 2, 2010 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Yaniv, one of my favourite sources of motors/activators is power seat mechanisms. I get mine from a local boneyard who occasionally has an "all you can carry out for $25" sale. If such a thing exists in your area, it's worth investigating.

5. Aug 2, 2010 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would look at existing designs for driving simulators before you design anything. You'll need to decide how many degrees of freedom you want, it can range from 2 to 6. The price of the simulator will rise dramatically based on the number of DOF.

Most 2 DOF simulators I've seen basically roll the driver left and right, and tip forward and back. These two DOF's basically simulate acceleration, braking, and turning left/right. A 2-DOF rig is usually pretty easy to put together with a pair of linear actuators (usually electric, pneumatic, or hydraulic cylinders) and a U-joint pivot point. From there, you'll have to keep statics/dynamics in mind if you're wanting more DOF.

A 6-DOF system would be set up with a Hexapod like a flight simulator. Probably overkill for a driving simulator (although there are a few). 2-DOF and 4-DOF are the most common kinds out there, 2-DOF can be <barely> affordable, 4-DOF cost as much as a car, 6-DOF cost as much as a house. Additionally, they're usually application-specific, meaning they only work with 1 or 2 racing games.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. Aug 3, 2010 #5

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook