1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asking tips from experts: machining

1. Nov 7, 2017 #1
    Good afternoon people. Today I don't want to ask something related to electronics or mathematics, but rather on another subject. In this case is about machining (as well as making my own mechanical pieces).

So what's the matter? You may ask. Well let me explain to you. In the last couple of years I've done several electronics projects, including a programmable clock, a twilight light circuit, a chick brooder, a variable power supply and a DC motor drive.

However I've thought that I should include more elements from other engineering disciplines, such as mechanics, fluid power, control engineering, etc. So I started looking at first on the branch of mechanics. I have taken the courses and read books on basic subjects ranging from classical mechanics (physics), vector mechanics (statics + dynamics), mechanics of materials and machine elements design. I have the theory, yet I don't know how to start on applying the concepts on making real world applications (like machines and robots).

I don't want to limit all my projects within the electronics realm
    as well I want to diversify my projects, so I want to know how to start doing things like welding, or machining, or CNC, to produce my own mechanical parts (of course I know that some of them are already made and can be bought in places like Grainger).

I would appreciate your tips and insights on how to settle a "journey" on this. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a Community College or Continuing Education or Adult Education facility near you? They will often have very helpful classes like Metal Shop, Welding, CNC Operations, etc. In those classes, you get to work on projects (often of your own choice after you complete the basic project). :smile:

4. Nov 8, 2017 #3
    Would it be a little easier to get started with 3D printing?

5. Nov 8, 2017 #4
    A good book on manufacturing processes might be helpful here. I like the one by Schey.

6. Nov 8, 2017 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. Nov 8, 2017 #6
    It may be worth reading one or more of the books Dave Gingery published on how to build machine tools from scratch. The result isn't a precision instrument, and buying a used lathe is cheaper than the labor hours involved, but building a Gingery lathe was a common stepping off point.

8. Nov 8, 2017 #7

OCR

You can start... here .

And, some links from the Homepage...

Then, of course... YouTube .

Then, when you've perfected your skills... you can build one of these !!

Personally, I'd really like to have a machine like this... . :cool:

9. Nov 9, 2017 #8
    The site Nidum linked to is very good, but it is run by and for professionals so you have to be careful about how you ask beginner questions. This other site is a little more friendly

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum.php

It's a pretty active place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted