1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driving me batty! CSC^4x -COT^4x; simplify.

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is to simplify the following trig equation:

csc^4x - cot^4x

2. Relevant equations

There really isn't any I can think of.

3. The attempt at a solution

When I attempt to simplify csc^4x - cot^4x I arrive at the result, from factoring, (csc^2x + cot^2x)(csc^2x - cot^2x). The book shows just the addition portion of my factoring. I have asked my professor and he said that I need not worry as the exam will be multiple guess?? I however am not satisfied with guessing, and would like to know if there is some fundamental rule or operation which I have overlooked. Thanks in advance and I apologize for the eq not being in a Tex format, I'm on my phone. Take care.

Joe

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2
    You can use a pythagorean trig identity with one of the factors you have.

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    Well that's embarassing... Thanks buddy. I knew it had to be something simple but I have a tendency to make things way more difficult than they are. I am assuming you were refering to csc^2x - cot^2x = 1 ?

Joe

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook