1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DTFT question regarding a pair

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My book writes the following: using pair for the Discrete Time Fourier Transform:
    [itex]-a^{k}u[-k-1] <---(DTFT)---> \frac{1}{1-ae^{-iw}} for \left | a \right | > 1[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Well, for the simple similar pair such as:

[itex]a^{k}u[k] <---(DTFT)---> \frac{1}{1-ae^{-iw}} for \left | a \right | < 1[/itex]

The calculation is pretty straightforward regarding the GP series.
    In the above however, I get lost where they get the result from.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've come to here, coming from DTFT definition and simplifying the unitstep boundaries to the sum of:
    [itex]\sum_{1}^{\infty}a^{-k}e^{iwk}[/itex]

The question is, how do I get from here to the above?

[itex]a^{k}u[k] <---(DTFT)---> \frac{1}{1-ae^{-iw}} for \left | a \right | < 1[/itex]

I am thankful for any walk through you can give, since I spent way too much time on this problem. Is there something obvious I don't see about this one, or is the calculation of GP series I am mistaken about?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2
    Solved

Finally I understood where I've done wrong. For anyone's interest, here it is:

[itex]\sum_{1}^{\infty}a^{-k}e^{iw}=-\frac{a^{-1}e^{iw}}{1-a^{-1}e^{iw}}[/itex]

From here one can solve the thing easily, which gives the correct condition that a>1 as well.

The thread may be locked now.

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is wrong unless you have written the sum on the left incorrectly.

That is, of course, using the formula for the sum of a geometric series:
    [tex]a\sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty a^{-k}e^{ik\omega}= a^{-1}e^{ik\omega}\sum_{k=0}^\infty (a^{-1}e^{k\omega})^k= \frac{a^{-1}e^{i\omega}}{1- a^{-1}e^{i\omega}}[/tex]

But without the "k" in the exponential, it would be just
    [tex]\sum_{k= 1}^\infty a^{-k}e^{i\omega}= a^{-1}e^{i\omega}\sum_{k=0}^\infty a^{-k}= \frac{a^{-1} e^{i\omega}}{1- a^{-1}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted