DTFT question regarding a pair

• Thread starter Pavoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dtft Pair
In summary, the homework statement is that using a pair for the Discrete Time Fourier Transform produces a result that is less than one for values of a<1. The equation for the GP series can be found by solving the sum of a geometric series for k=1 to infinity.
Pavoo

Homework Statement

My book writes the following: using pair for the Discrete Time Fourier Transform:
[itex]-a^{k}u[-k-1] <---(DTFT)---> \frac{1}{1-ae^{-iw}} for \left | a \right | > 1[/itex]

Homework Equations

Well, for the simple similar pair such as:

[itex]a^{k}u[k] <---(DTFT)---> \frac{1}{1-ae^{-iw}} for \left | a \right | < 1[/itex]

The calculation is pretty straightforward regarding the GP series.
In the above however, I get lost where they get the result from.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come to here, coming from DTFT definition and simplifying the unitstep boundaries to the sum of:
[itex]\sum_{1}^{\infty}a^{-k}e^{iwk}[/itex]

The question is, how do I get from here to the above?

[itex]a^{k}u[k] <---(DTFT)---> \frac{1}{1-ae^{-iw}} for \left | a \right | < 1[/itex]

I am thankful for any walk through you can give, since I spent way too much time on this problem. Is there something obvious I don't see about this one, or is the calculation of GP series I am mistaken about?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved

Finally I understood where I've done wrong. For anyone's interest, here it is:

[itex]\sum_{1}^{\infty}a^{-k}e^{iw}=-\frac{a^{-1}e^{iw}}{1-a^{-1}e^{iw}}[/itex]

From here one can solve the thing easily, which gives the correct condition that a>1 as well.

The thread may be locked now.

That is wrong unless you have written the sum on the left incorrectly.

That is, of course, using the formula for the sum of a geometric series:
[tex]a\sum_{n=0}^\infty r^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty a^{-k}e^{ik\omega}= a^{-1}e^{ik\omega}\sum_{k=0}^\infty (a^{-1}e^{k\omega})^k= \frac{a^{-1}e^{i\omega}}{1- a^{-1}e^{i\omega}}[/tex]

But without the "k" in the exponential, it would be just
[tex]\sum_{k= 1}^\infty a^{-k}e^{i\omega}= a^{-1}e^{i\omega}\sum_{k=0}^\infty a^{-k}= \frac{a^{-1} e^{i\omega}}{1- a^{-1}}[/tex]

1. What is a "DTFT"?

The DTFT stands for Discrete Time Fourier Transform, which is a mathematical tool used to convert a discrete signal from the time domain to the frequency domain.

2. What is a "pair" in the context of DTFT?

In DTFT, a "pair" refers to a set of two signals that are related by the DTFT function. These signals are usually a discrete signal and its corresponding frequency domain representation.

3. How is DTFT used in scientific research?

DTFT is commonly used in signal processing and analysis, particularly in fields such as telecommunications, audio and image processing, and control systems. It allows scientists to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable insights and applications in various research areas.

4. What are the advantages of using DTFT?

DTFT has several advantages, such as its ability to accurately represent and analyze signals in the frequency domain, which can reveal important information about the signal's characteristics. It also allows for easy manipulation and filtering of signals, making it a useful tool in many scientific applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using DTFT?

Like any mathematical tool, DTFT also has its limitations. It can only be applied to discrete signals, and it assumes that the signals are periodic, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, the computation of DTFT can be complex and time-consuming for larger signals.