1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ΔU, Q, W of thermodynamic process

1. Nov 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A monatomic ideal gas undergoes the thermodynamic process shown in the PV diagram. Determine whether each of the values ΔU, Q, and W for the gas is positive, negative, or zero.
    upload_2016-11-3_7-41-47.png
    2. Relevant equations
    ΔU=Q-W
    W=integral under the curve
    PV=nRT T=PV/nR
    3. The attempt at a solution
    direction is negative then the integral negative then work is negative
    ΔU depends on change in temp, and here pressure increases and volume decreases so it was Ti=P0x2V0/nR and at final it becomes Tf=2P0xV0/nR Tf=Ti then it stays the same no change in temp then ΔU =0
    therefore 0=Q-W Q=W but W negative then Q also negative
    Is that correct? I need only to check my answer...
    and is there any other way to determine Q from Graph (without looking at W or ΔU) ???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

You could draw adiabats, one passing through point ##2V_0,P_0## and one through point ##V_0,2P_0##, and see if you are going closer to the origin (##Q<0##) or farther away from the origin (##Q>0##), but it is easier to calculate it as you did.

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3
    how we draw them? do you mean to draw hyperbolas passing through them?

5. Nov 3, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I mean that you draw the curves ##P = V^{-\gamma}## that pass through the given points.

6. Nov 3, 2016 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Careful with how W is defined. Physicists usually take W as the work done BY the gas, which is what you did & that's correct.

But chemists often (or usually?) take W as the work done ON the gas in which case your W would be positive and the 1st law would read ΔU = Q + W.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted