Enthelpy & Internal Energy Change relation with Cp & Cv

In summary, there is some confusion about the given options A and B in relation to the processes involved. While it is clear that equations from A and B are true for all processes if the molar heat capacities are independent of temperature, they do not apply to state changes due to the infinite nature of heat capacity during a phase transition. This may have caused confusion in the given exercise.
cooldudeachyut

Homework Statement

Match the following
Given : Processes do not include chemical reactions. Assume CP,m and CV,m are independent of temperature for given substance and consider only pressure-volume work in given all processes.
859c435442f94785b03c46396edef66a.png
9cc6f13a82a84bf9a240d8aeb2d6e1e0.png

Homework Equations

ΔU = Q - W
ΔH = ΔU + Δ(PV)
PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer's given as following -
A : P Q S
B : P Q R
C : P Q R S T
D : P R T

I can get all relations correct except I don't understand why A : R and B : S aren't right. Since it says "any substance" I think those options should be right even if they only work for an ideal gas.

For an isochoric process ΔV = 0, so
ΔU = Q = nCV,mΔT
ΔH = ΔU + VΔP
VΔP = nRΔT

which gives the relation as,
ΔH = n(CV,m + R)ΔT

Since CP,m - CV,m = R, I can conclude that
ΔH = nCP,mΔT

Similarly for an isobaric process ΔP = 0, so
ΔU = Q - PΔV , where Q = nCP,mΔT
PΔV = nRΔT

which gives the relation as,
ΔU = n(CP,m - R)ΔT

and just like before it becomes,
ΔU = nCV,mΔT

I also remember reading somewhere that equations in option A and B work for any process, so maybe relations A : T and B : T are correct as well but I cannot derive for them.

Attachments

• 859c435442f94785b03c46396edef66a.png
    859c435442f94785b03c46396edef66a.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 973
  • 9cc6f13a82a84bf9a240d8aeb2d6e1e0.png
    9cc6f13a82a84bf9a240d8aeb2d6e1e0.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 646
Physics news on Phys.org
I Think the exercise in unclear. If cp and cv are independent of T, then ΔU = nCvΔT and ΔH = nCpΔT are always correct. This comes from the very definition of them both:

##c_v = \left( \frac {\partial U} {\partial T} \right)_V##
##c_p = \left( \frac {\partial H} {\partial T} \right)_P##

Likes cooldudeachyut
I agree with dRic2. This is a very poorly worded question. It seems to me, A and B are correct for all cases, except a phase change (T). C is the definition of enthalpy change, so it is always correct. D is true for a constant pressure process (R) and a phase change at constant pressure (T).

Likes cooldudeachyut
Thanks for the help everyone.

dRic2 said:
I Think the exercise in unclear. If cp and cv are independent of T, then ΔU = nCvΔT and ΔH = nCpΔT are always correct. This comes from the very definition of them both:

##c_v = \left( \frac {\partial U} {\partial T} \right)_V##
##c_p = \left( \frac {\partial H} {\partial T} \right)_P##

If these molar heat capacities being independent of temperature make equations from A & B true for all processes by definition why don't they apply to state changes, i.e., option T?

Because, as you can see, heat capacity is defined as the variation of internal energy or enthalpy with respect to temperature change. In a phase transition ##ΔT = 0## so heat capacity has to go to infinity ##c→\infty##. This means that, since we don't have a temperature change, our definition breaks down

Likes cooldudeachyut

1. What is the difference between enthalpy and internal energy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that combines the internal energy of a system with the product of its pressure and volume. Internal energy, on the other hand, refers to the total energy of the molecules within a system. Enthalpy takes into account both the internal energy and the work done by the system, while internal energy only considers the internal energy of the system.

2. How are enthalpy and internal energy related?

Enthalpy and internal energy are related through the equation H = U + PV, where H is enthalpy, U is internal energy, P is pressure, and V is volume. This equation shows that enthalpy is the sum of internal energy and the work done by the system.

3. What is the significance of the Cp and Cv values in relation to enthalpy and internal energy?

Cp and Cv, also known as specific heat capacities, are values that represent the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. Cp is the specific heat capacity at constant pressure, while Cv is the specific heat capacity at constant volume. These values are important in calculating the change in enthalpy and internal energy of a system.

4. How does enthalpy change with respect to temperature?

Enthalpy changes with respect to temperature according to the equation Cp = (dH/dT), where Cp is the specific heat capacity at constant pressure and T is temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the enthalpy of a substance will also increase.

5. How does the relationship between enthalpy and internal energy change for different types of processes?

The relationship between enthalpy and internal energy can change depending on the type of process. For example, in an isothermal process where temperature remains constant, the change in enthalpy will be equal to the change in internal energy. In an adiabatic process where there is no heat transfer, the change in enthalpy will be equal to the work done by the system. In a constant volume process, there is no work done, so the change in enthalpy will be equal to the change in internal energy.