1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual citizenship, which should I use for college application

1. Aug 5, 2016 #1
    I am a dual mexican and american citizen but I study in Mexico and I need to apply to other colleges for an international exchange.

My question to you is: do you think I should apply to other colleges as a mexican or as an american? I'm applying to Canada, Europe, and the US.

I was thinking that I should apply as a Mexican in the US since that way I would be considered a minority and colleges like to have a minority population.

Is it at all important? The thing is I don't even have a Mexican passport right now and if its really not that important then I probably shouldn't go through all the hassle. Opinions?

THANKS

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't really know, but I would point out that being a "minority" applicant can be a two-edged sword. I would think that under normal circumstances it could give you a slight edge BUT there could be situations where a particular university feels that it has too many minority students and needs to not accept some of such applicants in the short term. I have no idea whether that's a real-world scenario, but thought I would point it out for consideration.

4. Aug 5, 2016 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all, there is a difference between a US citizen minority versus a non-US citizen minority. Many US universities have plenty of the latter.

Secondly, non-citizens do not have access to a lot available financial support that are open to US citizens. Most direct educational grants from NSF (as opposed to research grants) are not available to non-US citizens. This is also true for DOE SULI and many other internships.

Nationalities are often not used in determining minority status. A Caucasian who is a citizen of Mexico is not considered as a minority, I don't think.

If I were you, I'd use the US citizenship.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted