Should I add KSP in my MIT college application?

In summary, Vanadium50 is trying to help you out and is getting angry because you're not following his advice.
Prof Sabi
Hello family, :smile:
I am applying to MIT this year for fall of 2019 in dept of Aero And Astro
I am seeking for some advice, that if there is any space for adding KSP missions(Obviously successful ones) in my college application and also some of Astrodynamics and Astrophysics I know...
My Mini ISS
ms7ovy

Warm Regards Dear Friends

Attachments

• Screenshot (116).png
    Screenshot (116).png
    75 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
Prof Sabi said:
KSP missions
Games? MIT? Think.

If KSP stands for Kerbal Space Program, MIT won't be impressed by how many missions you have "flown." I agree with @Bystander.

Prof Sabi said:

No you're not. You need to look very carefully at MIT's admissions pages.

Prof Sabi said:
I am seeking for some advice, that if there is any space for adding KSP missions(Obviously successful ones) in my college application

MIT's advice is to be yourself. Just because Bystander wouldn't, and Mark wouldn't and I wouldn't doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Why I won't :woot: This November is the application dates... I saw in on the deadlines section​

Looking very carefully does not mean guessing what I mean and taking a quick glance at the application dates. That's pretty much the opposite of looking carefully.

Prof Sabi said:
Why I won't :woot: This November is the application dates... I saw in on the deadlines section​
Prof Sabi said:
Relax. This is a stressful enough time in your life. The deadlines are listed here:

http://mitadmissions.org/apply/freshman/dates

But note the following:

http://mitadmissions.org/discover/majors

Many universities are partitioned into schools or colleges. At some universities, depending on your intended major, you apply to a specific school or college. At MIT, you do not: you simply apply to MIT; you don't declare a major until after your freshman year. So formally you will not be applying to the Dept of Aero and Astro.

Likes atyy
Well vanadium said it in a way, :nb) I thought I won't be able to apply hehe...

Prof Sabi said:
Well vanadium said it in a way, :nb) I thought I won't be able to apply hehe...
I realize that. That was a valid interpretation. Didn't want to leave you in a state of angst. Good luck on your application.

ETA: Just looked up your profile. It states "completed undergrad". Maybe I'm the one confused. Are you planning to apply for undergrad or grad?

The point I was trying to make is that he has to look very carefully at the information MIT provides. MIT accepts 4-5 students annually from India, out of "hundreds" of applicants from India. So we're looking at a success rate of about 1%. If it's too much bother to read this carefully and you need to be spoon-fed this information, that does not bode well.

I'm in high school.. I made a mistake there sorry for that. Vanadium, please don't take it seriously, I just wanted to say that I wish to study aerospace engineering in MIT ( but I said something different that confused you ). Sorry for the confusion I made within you o_O Wish you a nice day...

Vanadium 50 said:
The point I was trying to make is that he has to look very carefully at the information MIT provides. MIT accepts 4-5 students annually from India, out of "hundreds" of applicants from India. So we're looking at a success rate of about 1%. If it's too much bother to read this carefully and you need to be spoon-fed this information, that does not bode well.
Well now I can't resist myself anymore typing this, but doesn't anyone thinks Vanadium50 is getting rude :confused: I think this forum as a family, that's why I asked the question, and this doesn't means you will become a philosopher and say these all unnecessary things...And For your kind information, I know that MIT accepts 4-5 out of hundreds o0), and what's wrong with you why are you so angry with your every post? Have I said something offending to you? :eek:

Warm Regards

Prof Sabi said:
Well now I can't resist myself anymore typing this, but doesn't anyone thinks Vanadium50 is getting rude :confused: I think this forum as a family, that's why I asked the question, and this doesn't means you will become a philosopher and say these all unnecessary things...And For your kind information, I know that MIT accepts 4-5 out of hundreds o0), and what's wrong with you why are you so angry with your every post? Have I said something offending to you? :eek:

Warm Regards

Do a search on the forum -- regarding MIT application from students outside US, emphasis India but other countries too. You aren't the first or second or third ... to ask this. He's trying to help you out.
- - -
An idea from probability is useful here -- specifically conditioning.

Ask yourself, have you won at least one math Olympiad or equivalent science medal?

If not, your chance of getting in is significantly ##\lt 1##%. If yes, then great but then I don't understand the question about KSP.

Prof Sabi said:
Well now I can't resist myself anymore typing this, but doesn't anyone thinks Vanadium50 is getting rude

If you think that was rude, you will not believe MIT.

What do mean by "you will not BELIEVE MIT"

MIT is a much tougher place. Sure it's nice to be told you're the bestest, bestest student ever, and a shoo-in to MIT even if you can't be bothered to read the information the Institute provides on admissions - or think that playing computer games is one of your greatest accomplishments. But MIT doesn't work this way. If being told that you have to put in a little elbow grease to achieve your goals is too much for you, MIT is not a place you will be very happy.

Vanadium 50 said:
MIT is a much tougher place. Sure it's nice to be told you're the bestest, bestest student ever, and a shoo-in to MIT even if you can't be bothered to read the information the Institute provides on admissions - or think that playing computer games is one of your greatest accomplishments. But MIT doesn't work this way. If being told that you have to put in a little elbow grease to achieve your goals is too much for you, MIT is not a place you will be very happy.
See vanadium please, you are not getting my point, I am not a computer addict, I study, really... You may be thinking, I play woooo computer games, but I don't, believe me in India you don't get time to play games during IIT JEE Preparation, just because summer vacations started I built some rockets and mini ISS to convince people at MIT that I can apply the mooc's and Astro book's knowledge in so called real life through Kerbal space program, well its true that I don't have international olympiads medals but I am trying this year to appear for those exams. I don't know if you are taking me as a gamer guy or something but here we have a small group where we discuss and read books related to our life time career i.e. space, also I don't lack in academics in my school, I don't want to say about me but I am saying these just in case you get any wrong picture of me in your mind, and also I really apologize for the rude part :sorry:.. Can we be friends?​

MIT gets about 20,000 applications every year for about 1500 places. How does playing video games signal to the admissions office that you have educational needs and potential that can only be fulfilled at an elite institution?

Even video game design programs don't consider number of hours spent playing video games to be relevant for admission, let alone science or engineering.

If you want to talk about it as a personal interest in your essay, then feel free to mention it. But you will not likely be taken seriously if you try to hold it up as an argument for why you, instead of the thousands of other people competing for your place, deserve to be accepted.

jack476 said:
MIT gets about 20,000 applications every year for about 1500 places. How does playing video games signal to the admissions office that you have educational needs and potential that can only be fulfilled at an elite institution?

Even video game design programs don't consider number of hours spent playing video games to be relevant for admission, let alone science or engineering.

If you want to talk about it as a personal interest in your essay, then feel free to mention it. But you will not likely be taken seriously if you try to hold it up as an argument for why you, instead of the thousands of other people competing for your place, deserve to be accepted.
Got it :) Thanks

1. Should I mention my interest in KSP in my MIT college application?

It is generally recommended to include any activities or interests that are meaningful to you in your college application. If KSP is a significant part of your life and has influenced your academic or personal development, then it can be a valuable addition to your application.

2. Will mentioning KSP make me stand out as an applicant?

Adding KSP to your application can make you stand out, but it ultimately depends on how you present it. Admissions officers are looking for well-rounded applicants who are passionate and dedicated, so if you can effectively convey your involvement and growth through KSP, it can definitely make you stand out.

3. Do I need to have a specific level of achievement in KSP to mention it in my application?

There is no specific level of achievement required to include KSP in your application. What matters more is how you have grown and developed through your involvement with KSP. Whether you are a beginner or have reached advanced levels, focus on how KSP has impacted your learning, skills, and personal growth.

4. Can I include KSP in my application even if it is not related to my intended major?

Absolutely! MIT values well-rounded individuals, and your involvement in KSP can demonstrate your diverse interests and experiences. Even if KSP is not directly related to your intended major, it can still showcase your dedication, passion, and unique qualities.

5. How should I include KSP in my application?

You can mention KSP in various sections of your application, such as the activities section, personal statement, or supplemental essays. Choose the section that allows you to best highlight your involvement and growth in KSP. Additionally, you can also ask for a letter of recommendation from a mentor or supervisor in KSP to provide further insight into your experience and skills.