Due in two hours, I can't figure it out I spent 45 mins on this

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Figure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
flyingpig
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
1
Due in two hours, I can't figure it out! I spent 45 mins on this

Homework Statement



Give the isomers of C4H10O that are ethers

I am doing this on Mastering Chem and it isn't working



The Attempt at a Solution




[PLAIN]http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9666/21624147.jpg

I don't understand, I've got a cis and tran, what's going on?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


Why do you care about CIS and TRANS? You are looking for isomers of ethers using C4H10O, and you only entered one single drawn model. You should easily be able to find other arrangements for those numbers of atoms. You should only need models using single-bonds. Think: shorter or longer chains of carbons; other positions for the oxygen; any branches other than just methyl groups?
 


These are not not cis and trans, what you have is the same molecule repeated twice.
 
hi flyingpig! :smile:

pardon a non-chemist for asking :redface: …

but why are you drawing them diagonally when it seems easier to do it horizontally? :confused: