• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Duke Eng Grad School;Subtle Signs?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Spirit
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello everyone,

In short; I applied to Duke University when I was in highschool in Wales. I was rejected. However, I was accepted at the University of Florida. Now I am Industrial Engineering Major, Senior year.

I recieved at my house address in Jordan a letter from Duke University; Master of Engineering, Management Program. It was sent on July 23rd, I recieved from Jordan to here in Florida about ten days ago.

It says in its end: "Join us right after recieving your undergraduate degree and gain the business management skills that will accelerate your career....We look forward to hear from you."

My Question is: Is there subtle signs that they are really interested? Or its just a search engine generator to attract strong applicants?

I have very limited knowledge in subtle signs for admissions/applications, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

Answers and Replies

By saying 'really interested' as in the chance to be admitted at the department.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Different course have different admissions requirements and these vary year by year depending on demand.
It is almost certainly a general mail shot but that doesn't say you wouldn't be accepted.

Master of Engineering programs at my University are really pushed, they really want students in the major because not many are interested, so you would have a good chance I think of getting into the program.

That letter sounds pretty generic. Any idea how Duke got your address in Jordan?

Thx mgb_phys, mr_coffee, and oepedia maas for your input;

I have some questions, please excuse my limited knowledge on this matter, as we are born knowing nothing and we learn during our lifetime;

mgb_phys; If demands now are in favor of students, i.e. requirements now are below the average requirements for the past couple of years, will it be better if I apply now to thier master program, even I will be graduating in year 2009? Or chances usually are less since I am not a last year 'Senior' yet?

And to mr_coffee; Do you know any helpful people in the Engineering Department at your uni, Graduate part is a plus, that I amy contact for some details?

oepedia maas; The last contact with Duke was about 3 years ago, I may have added my home address in Jordan as a contact info, but as I remember I recieved the rejection letter directly at my mail box when I was studying high school in Wales.

I was thinking the Vice Principle for Academic at my high school may provided some information or so. I havent contacted him since a looong time, it may [?] be odd if after all this time I contact him again for asking about this matter.

Thanks in advance ppl, I appreciate your time and response,
Peace,
-Khader,