Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dvd rental

1. Brick and Mortar Stores (blockbuster)

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. $1 Rental Machines (in grocery stores)

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Mail Delivery services (netflick)

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. Online stream or Download

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. Other

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    How do you get your dvd/movies?

I used netflicks for a long time, but I usually go on movie binges, so I need a blockbuster near me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    I get most of my movies through blockbuster online now. I don't go into the Blockbuster store too much anymore, but the added convenience of being able to trade in a movie at the store is nice.

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Mine are free from my apartment complex, they provide free DVD rental as one of the perks.

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    They have them in storage, or a deal with blockbuster?

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tend to buy if I possibly can and I've never rented. I like collecting things.

7. Mar 4, 2008 #6
    I use on line services, I'm not in a hurry to see them,so its just easier for me to pop them in the mail at work.

8. Mar 4, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

They have them onsite, new releases too. Don't know what arrangement they have to keep them updated.

9. Mar 4, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

On the very rare occassions when I rent one, it's from the local video store. I voted 'other', because it's not a Blockbuster outlet (although we have one in town).

10. Mar 4, 2008 #9
    I get mine from PPV (PayPer View).

11. Mar 4, 2008 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I download mine from Usenet. Arrrrrr.

- Warren

12. Mar 4, 2008 #11
    Hullo...
    Did you not spend your childhoods with your mother asking, "Why do you want to buy it? Just take it out from the library!"?
    I buy books now if I think I'll read them multiple times/get an urge to read them when the library's closed. Same logic applies to DVDs, but somehow there are a lot fewer movies that I invest in than books.
    Use your local library!!

13. Mar 4, 2008 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Agreed. I buy the ones that I know I'll watch dozens of times, such as Spider-Man, X-Men, etc., or maybe a not-so-good one if it's on sale for close to the rental price. Otherwise, it strictly the 7-days/$7 approach.

14. Mar 4, 2008 #13
    But I don't get it. Why pay money to rent for a week if you can borrow for free for a week?

15. Mar 4, 2008 #14
    those $1 boxes in the grocery store are AWESOME. you just have to make sure you return it the next day though.

16. Mar 4, 2008 #15

RonL

Gold Member

I use the three DVD plan from netflix, but have not taken advantage of the 18 hour free online view. That will change when the 100' cable gets put in the attic, my wife has a bad attitude about it being strung from the office, thru the breakfast area, thru the kitchen, thru the dining room, and into the sun room,:confused: just can't understand that woman:grumpy:

17. Mar 4, 2008 #16
    I watch my movies on Southeast Asian streaming websites. If its good, I watch it at the theater.

18. Mar 4, 2008 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I wouldn't, but I don't know of any place that would lend me one for nothing. Libraries around here don't have videos. Even if they did, you have to buy a card to remove something from the building.

19. Mar 4, 2008 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Netflix and the library. Our library has a good collection of classics, and Netflix has all the television programs worth watching. I just this very minute finished season 3 of Lost. SO I'm a little behind, I can wait.

DON'T NOBODY TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

Meanwhile I'm going to check out The Wire.

20. Mar 4, 2008 #19
    Hmmm. *googling season 4*.

21. Mar 4, 2008 #20

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My wife haunts the 2nd hand shops, Picks them up for $20 a handfull. We don't rent, but do own enough DVDs to open a store. (~2000)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?