1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to find reliable salary averages for Engineers?

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    So it's time to get out there and get a job. All throughout school they feed you a line about how much you should be making, but it's time to get real now. I am looking for good resources on where I can learn what I should expect to be making with my qualifications, experience, and in my location. I have found some websites, but there is quite a bit of variation in the numbers. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that I am looking at Mechanical Engineering salaries and ME is a very diverse field. In particular, I am looking for salaries for Thermo Fluids Engineers (in Massachsetts, USA) with an M.S. in their field.

Does anyone have any good resources for this? I would like to be well-armed for negotiation.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2
    The Bureau of Labor and Statistics is somewhat helpful, however, they do not make any distinction between 'entry-level' and 'all the rest' (probably due to imprecise definitions). So when you take the median of (all entry level) + (all non entry level) you need to know something about the proportion of those categories in order to make any assumptions as to who is being paid what...

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    Many people in HR departments use payscale.com.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook