Dynamics of circular motion. Particle on the top of a circle

In summary, the conversation was about finding the angle at which a particle of mass M leaves a vertical circle without initial velocity, falling clockwise. The solution involved using unitary vectors and equations for velocity and acceleration, but there were some sign errors which led to incorrect results. The correct angle was found to be 48.19 degrees using the conservation of energy method.
Zipi Damn

Homework Statement

A particle of mass M is on the top of a vertical circle without initial velocity. It starts to fall clockwise.

Find the angle with respect to the origin, where the particle leaves the circle.

bc8d1bbbf5.gif

Homework Equations

v=ωXr

The Attempt at a Solution

I used two unitary vectors..
εr : which direction is the same as the line described by the radio in the separation point.
εθ: perpendicular to εr (the direction of the tangential velocity in the separation point)

r=R er

v=dr/dt = Rder/dt
v=ωXr (counterclockwise, so I changedthe sign to negative)
v=-R(ωXer)

v = -R(-ω) = ωR
α=dω/dt

a = dv/dt = R(α + ω d/dt)

d/dt = -(ωX) = -ωer

a = α R - ω^2 R er

Forces:
Weight, Normal force
Centripetal is a resultant?

F(eθ)==> mgcosθ = αRm
F(er)==> N-mgsenθ= -ω^2Rm

So:

α=dω/dt= (dω/dθ)(dθ/dt)=ωdω/dθ

θ
∫αdθ =
∏/2

ω
∫ωdω
ω0

From F(er) : α= (gcosθ)/R

θ
∫ (gcosθ)/Rdθ = (gsenθ)/R
∏/2

ω
∫ωdω= (ω^2)/2
ω0ω^2 = (2gsenθ)/R

I come back to the force equations, (with zero normal force) and replace ω^2

And I get nonsenses like 2=1. Did I do something wrong?

Solution: 48,19º (by the teacher)

Physics news on Phys.org
Zipi Damn said:
θ
∫αdθ =
∏/2

ω
∫ωdω
ω0
Not sure exactly where, but you have a sign error. The first integral will be negative, but the second positive.
θ
∫ (gcosθ)/Rdθ = (gsenθ)/R
∏/2
You've not filled in the 'lower' bound correctly after integrating.
ω^2 = (2gsenθ)/R
Could have got this much more quickly and reliably by conservation of energy. Note that the RHS should be 1-sin, not sin.

I found it solved.

rbxrgn.jpg

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path, maintaining a constant distance from a fixed point. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a continuously changing direction.

2. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

3. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force required to keep an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the product of mass and centripetal acceleration. This force is necessary to balance the inertia of the object and keep it moving in a circular path.

4. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in circular motion?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement. In circular motion, these two velocities are related by the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

5. How does the position of a particle on the top of a circle affect its dynamics?

The position of a particle on the top of a circle affects its dynamics by changing the direction of its velocity and acceleration. At the top of the circle, the velocity of the particle is horizontal and its acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle. This results in a constant centripetal force and a change in the direction of the particle's velocity, causing it to move in a circular path.