Dynamics of Clifford generators

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the correct forum to post a review essay and trying to follow a proof in a paper about a Hamiltonian. The conversation then delves into the use of Clifford algebra generators and the definition of c_mu(t) in terms of U(t). The part that is not clear involves showing the expression c_mu(t) = ∑_nu e^(4h_mu_nu t)c_nu(0), with the paper possibly intending e^(4ht) to be the matrix exponential. The speaker expresses frustration with understanding this concept and asks for assistance.
tallphil
Trying to find the correct forum to post this, trying here because it is for a review essay I'm writing..

I've been trying to follow a proof in this paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.4050v2" (page 9).

The relevant build up:
[tex]c_\mu[/tex] are Clifford algebra generators, i.e. [tex]\{c_\mu,c_\nu\}=2\delta_{\mu\nu}I[/tex]

Consider a Hamiltonian of the form:
[tex]H=i\displaystyle\sum\limits_{\mu\ne\nu=1}^{2n}h_{\mu\nu}c_\mu c_\nu[/tex]
where [tex]h_{\mu\nu}[/tex] is a real antisymmetric 2nx2n matrix of coefficients.

Then write [tex]c_\mu[/tex] as [tex]c_\mu(0)[/tex] and define [tex]c_\mu(t)=U(t)c_\mu(0)U(t)^\dagger[/tex] with [tex]U(t)=e^{iHt}[/tex].

It can then be shown that [tex]\frac{dc_\mu(t)}{dt}=i[H,c_\mu(t)]=\displaystyle\sum\limits_\nu 4h_{\mu\nu}c_\nu(t)[/tex]

The part that is not clear to me is then to hence show that
[tex]c_\mu(t)=\displaystyle\sum\limits_\nu e^{4h_{\mu\nu}t}c_\nu(0)[/tex]
in that I cannot differentiate this expression to get back to the previous line, let alone integrate the previous line to get this one (if that is indeed what is necessary).

Any help would be deeply appreciated, I have wasted far too much time today staring at this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the paper intends the expression e^(4ht) to be the matrix exponential. I.e. e^(4ht)=1+4ht+(4ht)^2/2!+(4ht)^3/3!+... where the powers are matrix multiplication. That's not the same as exponentiating each entry in the matrix.

1. What are Clifford generators?

Clifford generators are mathematical objects used in the study of geometric algebra. They are a set of generating elements that can be used to construct all other elements of the algebra.

2. How are Clifford generators related to dynamics?

Clifford generators are used in the study of dynamics to represent and manipulate physical quantities such as forces, velocities, and rotations in a geometrically intuitive way. They allow for a more elegant and efficient formulation of dynamics problems.

3. What is the significance of using geometric algebra in dynamics?

Geometric algebra, of which Clifford generators are a part, offers a powerful and unified framework for representing and analyzing physical systems. It allows for the incorporation of both vector and tensor quantities, making it well-suited for describing the complex interactions involved in dynamics problems.

4. Are there any practical applications of the dynamics of Clifford generators?

Yes, there are several practical applications of the dynamics of Clifford generators. These include robotics, computer graphics, and computer vision, where geometric algebra has been shown to offer more efficient and elegant solutions to problems.

5. How can I learn more about the dynamics of Clifford generators?

There are many resources available for learning about the dynamics of Clifford generators. Some recommended sources include textbooks on geometric algebra, online tutorials, and research papers in the field of geometric algebra and its applications.