Dynamics of material (momentum )

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a 10 kg block on an incline, a 50 kN force, and a spring. The participants are trying to determine the maximum compression of the spring after the force is applied to the block for 5 ms. They discuss using conservation of momentum and the concept of impulse to solve the problem. The mentor helps clarify the need for the block to gain velocity in order to compress the spring, and encourages the participant to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.
Faraz
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi, I am having difficulty solving the problem, please resolve it if possible. my work and the image for the problem is attached. Thanks
The 10 kg block is at rest on the bottom of the incline (θ = 30°) when it is suddenly struck by a 50 kN force that sends it sliding up the incline. The duration of the force is 5 ms and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.2. The block slides 30 m up the incline and makes contact with the spring (initially uncompressed, k = 15 kN/m). What is the maximum compression of the spring
media-c99-c996768f-4164-45e1-af88-908b7d598ca2-phpjDwP1W.png

media-892-89297056-4331-4277-8181-5affb34ffdd7-phphpJp41.png
media-558-558b9281-e47d-4574-bad7-8774236eaea3-phpqSwJAi.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Faraz said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi, I am having difficulty solving the problem, please resolve it if possible. my work and the image for the problem is attached. Thanks
The 10 kg block is at rest on the bottom of the incline (θ = 30°) when it is suddenly struck by a 50 kN force that sends it sliding up the incline. The duration of the force is 5 ms and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.2. The block slides 30 m up the incline and makes contact with the spring (initially uncompressed, k = 15 kN/m). What is the maximum compression of the spring
View attachment 97539

View attachment 97540 View attachment 97537
You solved a different problem. What does the 50 kN force do with the 10 kg block in 5 ms?

i KNOW i should use conservation of momentum but don't know how

Faraz said:
i KNOW i should use conservation of momentum but don't know how
Momentum is conserved if no force acts on the body.
There are forces acting on the 10 kg block. It is in rest initially. Does it stay in rest when the force acts on it ?

no

so why is the time given

im really confused, because in that case my solution is correct

Will it move? with what velocity?

Faraz said:
so why is the time given
In what case?

did you check out the attachments?

Faraz said:
did you check out the attachments?
Yes. It is wrong. You did not you use the given force and time, what you did is not related to the problem.
Read the problem statement carefully.

ive done it numerous times, can you actually help me solve it

Faraz said:
ive done it numerous times, can you actually help me solve it
I tried to help you, but you said that you solved the problem correctly.
I ask again: what happens to a body if force is applied to it?

it moves

Faraz said:
it moves
Imagine the setup. There is a block in rest at the bottom of a slope. Far away from it, there is a spring at the top of the slope. How can the block compress the spring? It has to reach it. For that , it needs enough velocity. How does it get velocity? If force is applied to it.
It accelerates, gains some velocity and momentum during some time.
How is the change of momentum related to the force and time of application of the force?

Last edited:
impulse?

Faraz said:
impulse?
Yes, impulse. What impulse does the block get if 50 kN force is applied for 5ms?

ft

How much is it? and what velocity does the block gain from that impulse?

35b4cf2be53677362c8a5addb71505ec_07c734b1ef9f7d0334e1a7f2b5de1134.jpg
e04a7a1308f5ef27502ec63b04b1ffcb_5b506e4e4c76290035ff91572063cefb-1.jpg

i just resolved it, is it correct?

I can not read your handwriting. Explain what you do.

1. What is momentum and why is it important in understanding the dynamics of material?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is important in understanding the dynamics of material because it helps us predict the behavior and movement of objects based on their mass and velocity.

2. How does momentum affect the motion of objects?

Momentum affects the motion of objects by causing them to continue moving in the same direction and at the same speed unless acted upon by an external force. This is known as the law of inertia.

3. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the sum of the momenta of all objects in the system before and after a collision or interaction will be the same, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

4. How does momentum relate to force?

Momentum and force are closely related, with force being the rate of change of momentum. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum will be.

5. Can momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or interactions. The total momentum before and after the collision will remain the same, but it can be distributed among the objects in different ways depending on their masses and velocities.