Minimum force required to prevent sliding down

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a point object on a rough inclined plane, subjected to gravity and a horizontal force. The formula for the minimum force needed to stop the object is sought, taking into account the increasing friction force as the horizontal force increases. The problem is made more complicated by the fact that the horizontal force can be resolved into two components, one of which increases the reaction force and friction. Assistance is requested in solving the problem.
Pcmath
Recently I've come across a question that seems very simple, but had puzzled me for a while.

Suppose a point object with mass M is placed on a rough plane inclined at 30 degree to the horizontal and is subjected to the force of gravity acting down vertically (to make it simple, assume g = 10 ms^-2). The inclined plane is rough and thus friction exists to oppose the motion of the object and given that the coefficient of static friction between 2 surfaces is 0.2. Now it can easily be shown that the object will slide down because the component of gravity parallel to the plane is greater than the max friction opposing the motion. Now suppose a new horizontal(perpendicular to gravity) force F acts on the mass M to prevent it from sliding down, and the force F is increasing gradually until it can stop the object completely. I want to find the formula for the minimum force F needed to stop the object.

The problem I get is that the horizontal force F can be resolved to 2 forces, parallel and perpendicular to the inclined plane. I notice that the force perpendicular to the inclined plane will increase the reaction force and thus friction. So when deriving the formula also need to account for the increasing friction force as F increases. But I make it very complicated and unable to solve it.

Can anyone help me?

MENTOR Note: Moved here from another forum hence no HW template.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pcmath said:
Recently I've come across a question that seems very simple, but had puzzled me for a while.

Suppose a point object with mass M is placed on a rough plane inclined at 30 degree to the horizontal and is subjected to the force of gravity acting down vertically (to make it simple, assume g = 10 ms^-2). The inclined plane is rough and thus friction exists to oppose the motion of the object and given that the coefficient of static friction between 2 surfaces is 0.2. Now it can easily be shown that the object will slide down because the component of gravity parallel to the plane is greater than the max friction opposing the motion. Now suppose a new horizontal(perpendicular to gravity) force F acts on the mass M to prevent it from sliding down, and the force F is increasing gradually until it can stop the object completely. I want to find the formula for the minimum force F needed to stop the object.

The problem I get is that the horizontal force F can be resolved to 2 forces, parallel and perpendicular to the inclined plane. I notice that the force perpendicular to the inclined plane will increase the reaction force and thus friction. So when deriving the formula also need to account for the increasing friction force as F increases. But I make it very complicated and unable to solve it.

Can anyone help me?

This would be better in the homework section.

In any case, the policy here at PF is for you to show us your working first and we can help you finish the problem. Your analysis is correct about the force ##F## increasing the normal force, hence the friction force. Can you find the equations using trigonometry?

What is the minimum force required to prevent sliding down?

The minimum force required to prevent sliding down is known as the critical force or the limiting force. This force is calculated by taking into account the weight of the object and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is resting on.

How is the minimum force required to prevent sliding down calculated?

The minimum force required to prevent sliding down is calculated using the formula: F = μmg, where F is the minimum force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the minimum force required to prevent sliding down?

The minimum force required to prevent sliding down is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object, the surface it is resting on, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface. Additionally, the angle of the surface and any external forces acting on the object can also affect the minimum force required.

What happens if the minimum force required to prevent sliding down is not applied?

If the minimum force required to prevent sliding down is not applied, the object will start to slide down the surface due to the force of gravity. This can lead to accidents, damage to the object, or loss of control over the object.

How can the minimum force required to prevent sliding down be increased?

The minimum force required to prevent sliding down can be increased by increasing the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, reducing the angle of the surface, or by increasing the weight of the object. Additionally, using materials with a higher frictional force or adding external forces such as friction pads can also increase the minimum force required.