Dynamics of Particles : Problems involving pulleys.

In summary, two particles, P and Q, of masses 1kg and 2kg respectively, are released from rest with a distance of 1.5m above the floor. After 0.5 seconds, the string breaks and P is in freefall with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2. To find the time it takes for P to hit the floor, we need to calculate its initial velocity using the equation v^2=u^2+2as, where s is the distance P has accelerated (height-1.5m). The answer is 0.813 seconds.
s.opethian

Homework Statement

Two particles P and Q of masses 1 kg and 2kg respectively are hanging vertically from the ends of a light inextensible string which passes over a smooth fixed pulley. The system is released from rest with both particles a distance of 1.5 m above a floor. When the masses have been moving for 0.5s the string breaks. Find the further time that elapses before P hits the floor.

Homework Equations

2g - T = 2a
T- g = a
s=ut+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the acceleration of the two the particles, and then found the distance particle Q moves in the 0.5seconds. Then, added this distance to 1.5m as it summed up to be the distance that P had to cover in order to hit the floor. But I couldn't proceed to solve the rest of the sum as I don't understand the string breakage theory. Help, anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
tbh i think you've done the hard part. so now you know how high P is above the floor when the string breaks. now P is in freefall. so its acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2, you've already calculated the height above the floor it is at and you only need one more thing to be able to find the time and that would be its initial velocity. you can find using v^2=u^2+2as and the values from the 1st part.

Tried that way, but the answer doesn't match. The answer is 0.813 seconds...

Can you show all of your work? Did you use the height of P above the floor for the "s" in v^2=u^2+2as, or did you use the distance for which P accelerated (which is height-1.5 m)?

1. How do pulleys affect the dynamics of particles?

Pulleys can change the direction and magnitude of forces acting on the particles. They also allow for a transfer of energy between different points in a system.

2. What types of problems involve pulleys in the dynamics of particles?

Pulleys are commonly used in problems involving inclined planes, tension forces, and systems with multiple masses and strings.

3. How do I calculate the forces and accelerations in a pulley system?

In order to calculate the forces and accelerations in a pulley system, you must first identify all the forces acting on each particle. Then, use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of pulley systems to set up and solve equations.

4. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made in pulley problems?

In some cases, the mass of the pulley and the friction between the pulley and the string may be ignored in order to simplify the calculations. Additionally, it is often assumed that the string does not stretch or slip.

5. Can pulleys change the overall energy of a system?

Yes, pulleys can change the potential and kinetic energy of a system by transferring energy between different points. However, the total energy of a system is always conserved.