Struggling to Understand Pulley System Dynamics

In summary: So, if we have N pulleys in the system, the tension in the string going down from the centre would be:Tn+1=Tn+2+...+Tn+N.
JoshW

Homework Statement

it is Problem 3.30.

Homework Equations

I am not sure how to sum the forces about each consecutive pulley I have been at this for 4 hours now. It is sad I can solve the DE questions and not this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had the first pulley at the top as (where y is dv/dt)
-T+mg=my1

Then I figured if i did it with just one extra pulley I could model the rest how ever it is not correct.

-2T+mg=-my2 (as i set the up direction to be negative and this mass would go up)

Then with two pulleys with the string under it I had either

-3T+mg=-ma or -4T+mg=-my2

What I don't get is how the tension from each consecutive pulley connected to the center of the one above it will effect the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
2015-09-29_20.12.40[1].jpg

The curve of the page makes the end of one line (the number of pulleys) illegible.

Just consider one of the pulleys with the string passing beneath it. If the tension in the string going up from its right is Tn, what is the tension in the string going up from its left hand side? What is the tension in the string going down from its centre?

it says consider N pulleys. so the tension of the one come out of the center would be the sum of the two above it? then string to the left would be just T?

JoshW said:
it says consider N pulleys. so the tension of the one come out of the center would be the sum of the two above it? then string to the left would be just T?
Right. So let the tension in the string passing under the nth pulley be Tn. What is the relationship between Tn and Tn+1?

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove and a rope or belt running along it. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley system work?

In a pulley system, the rope or belt is looped around the wheel and connected to the object being lifted. When force is applied to one end of the rope, the object is pulled up by the other end. The pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object by distributing it over multiple ropes or wheels.

3. What are the types of pulley systems?

There are three main types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. In a fixed pulley, the wheel is attached to a fixed point and only changes the direction of the force. In a movable pulley, the wheel is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it. A compound pulley combines both fixed and movable pulleys to provide a mechanical advantage.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is determined by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force applied to the rope. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and it takes 20 pounds of force to lift it, the mechanical advantage is 100/20 = 5. This means that the pulley system reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object by a factor of 5.

5. What are some real-world applications of pulley systems?

Pulley systems are used in many different industries and everyday tasks. Some common examples include elevators, cranes, construction equipment, and even window blinds. They are also used in exercise machines, such as weightlifting machines and rowing machines, to provide resistance and make the workout more challenging.