1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics question: Angular Velocity/kinematics

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    A piece of stone of mass m is rotating at constant angular speed ω in the vertical plane about the point O as shown in the figure. A rope of length R connects the ball to O. If the rope breaks when the stone is at A, calculate how long it takes before the stone falls back to the same level (y=0). Pick the closest answer in seconds.

http://huygens.zones.eait.uq.edu.au/courses/engg1400/pic/ball_on_a_rope.jpg

R[m] = 2
    w [rad/s] = 15
    m [kg] = 5

I have been attempting this question but I have no idea as to where to start? If anyone could give me a hand that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi GaryTravis. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Can you calculate the speed (magnitude and direction) of the stone at point A?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 15, 2014 #3
    Hey NascentOxygen, thanks for the welcome :D

To my knowledge the speed (in this case i'm assuming tangential speed.) is v=rw. So in this case v=2*15=30m/s. However I'm not certain if this is the right method.

Edit: As it turns out when i previously attempted the question i did not use this method (awkward...) but I have solved the question thanks for your assistance :D (I would never have double checked that equation if you didn't ask...)

5. May 31, 2017 #4
    Is there any chance someone could elaborate on this question?
    I have a similar one and don't understand how finding speed could indicate the time...
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted