1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics question(angular velocity)

1. Dec 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question: A circular cylinder with mass of 1 kg and radius a=0.1 m is rotating about its cylindrical axis at a rate of 5 revolutions per second. It is then placed on a flat surface. Assuming that there is no dissipation at contact and the cylinder is rolling without slipping (with negligible rolling friction) on the flat surface, its translational speed is:

2. Relevant equations
    v=rω

3. The attempt at a solution
    v=0.1 (5*2π)=π m/s

The answer is 1.81m/s. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've answered a different question. The question you have answered was:

If a cylinder is rolling without slipping at 5 rev/s then what is its translational speed.

That said, I'm not sure what the question is asking. If you put the spinning cylinder on a surface, then there must be energy loss before it gets to a state of rolling without slipping. But, the question seems to ask you to ignore this energy loss. Perhaps try that?

4. Dec 6, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've assumed that the cylinder has translational speed before it is placed on the surface.

5. Dec 6, 2017 #4
    how can I answer this question? The rotational kinetic energy is conserved.
    1/2mv2=1/2Iω2
    If I put the data into this equation, v=2.22m/s . I still can't get the answer.

6. Dec 6, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now you have assumed that the cylinder has stopped rotating and has only translational motion. Note that:

Initially the cylinder is rotating

Finally it is rolling without slipping

7. Dec 6, 2017 #6
    How can I calculate the final angular velocity? Is the final angular velocity=v/r?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. Dec 6, 2017 #7
    I think I have got the correct approach.
    1/2 I ωi2=1/2mv2+1/2 I ωf2
    v=√1/3r2ωi2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted