1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Question: Finding Fa using mass and acceleration

1. Jul 21, 2012 #1
    Hello again forum :smile: I am still studying for that unit test and am still having problems with dynamics... I've attached the problem with the calculations/solutions. Basically, I don't understand why I'm getting the wrong answer. Probably b/c idk what the heck I'm doing :eek:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

15kg object thrown into the air. Initial acceleration is 8.8m/s^2. Find applied force.

2. Relevant equations

Please see attachment.

3. The attempt at a solution

Please see attachment. Btw, I realize Fa needs to be positive.

Please advise regarding correct way of solving?.. Thank you for your time once again:smile:

EDIT: I found my mistake. However, I still don't understand why "that" is the correct solution.
    My Fg value had to be negative;
    Fa= (15kg x 8.8m/s^2) - (-147.15)
    Fa= 279.15

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The force available to accelerate the object (Fnet) is equal to the sum of all the forces acting on the object.

Fnet = FA + (-Fg)
    or
    Fnet = FA - Fg

Fg is negative because it's in the oposite direction to FA.

Rearrange..

FA = Fnet + Fg

= ma + mg
    = m (a+g)
    = 15 (8.8 + 9.81)
    = 279 N

4. Jul 22, 2012 #3
    You have done everything right, you simply made a mistake while solving the equations.
    You wrote:
    FA-Fg=ma
    FA=ma-Fg. <--- This is wrong. It should be FA=ma+Fg. :wink:

5. Jul 22, 2012 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well spotted. I looked at his working and didn't see that error.

6. Jul 22, 2012 #5
    Thank you Watters :biggrin: That organizes it a little better lol. In regard to your last post, I am very much female by the way :wink:

7. Jul 22, 2012 #6
    Eek! So sad that I didn't notice that... I'm sorry you had to point it out but thank you once again :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook