Calculating Force with Mass and Acceleration

In summary, the problem involves calculating the net force in milliNewtons using the equation Fnet=MA. The answer is 49.1 mN, rounded to three significant figures. Another question involves calculating the force of resistance using the equation 9.8(m)(sinθ)-ma. The answers were 14.8 mN and 0.000749 mN, respectively, due to the difference in the angle values. The validity of the force of resistance calculation cannot be determined without knowing the specifics of the problem.
socialfox

Homework Statement

Mass= 36.1 (Grams)
Acceleration = 1.36 M/S(sqaured)
Net Force in MiliNewtons =

Homework Equations

Fnet= MA

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet= 0.0361 x 1.36
= 0.049096 Newtons
0.049096 x 1000= 49.096 MiliNewtons

Can anyone verify this for me please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, socialfox.

Your work look's good. (Picky: If the problem is stated with 3 significant figures for each quantity, then generally you would round your answer to three significant figures: 49.1 mN.

Also, "milli" has two l's.

Thank you for replying, I had another question with that information I was supposed to calculate the force of resistance with this equation:

9.8(Mass)(Sin*angle*) - (m)(a)
so I had filled it in with these numbers below (the angle is 10.4 degrees)

9.8(36.1)(sin10.4) - 49.096 = 14.768 MilliNewtons
I understand this answer seems normal but for another question with simmilar numbers except for the degrees which is now 11.24 degrees I get this

9.8(36.1)(sin11.24) - 68.951 = 0.000749325 MilliNewtons

My problem/doubt is why is my second answer so different, also is the force of resistance correct for these questions?

Thanks for taking the time to look over this, I appreciate it :)

Your calculations look correct. However, I think it would be more consistent if you plug in SI units (.0361 kg) for the mass and then convert Newtons to milliNewtons. But' you'll get the same result.

The results seem so different because in the last case you happen to be subtracting two terms that have almost the same value.

It's hard for me to say if your "force of resistance is correct" since I don't know the set-up of the problem. Maybe you could explain how you arrived at the expression mgsinθ - ma.

Yes, your calculation is correct. The net force in millinewtons is 49.096 mN. Keep in mind that the unit for acceleration should be m/s^2, not m/s(squared).

1. What is the formula for calculating force using mass and acceleration?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force in Newtons (N), m is mass in kilograms (kg), and a is acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you calculate force when only given mass and acceleration?

To calculate force when only given mass and acceleration, use the formula F = m x a. Plug in the given values for mass and acceleration and solve for force.

3. What are the units for force, mass, and acceleration?

The unit for force is Newtons (N), the unit for mass is kilograms (kg), and the unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How does mass affect the force calculation?

Mass directly affects the force calculation. As mass increases, force increases proportionally. This means that a heavier object will require a greater force to accelerate it compared to a lighter object.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons.