1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Question: Finding mass using Vi, Vf, D and acceleration

1. Jul 21, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm new to forum and am a 3rd year university student who has never taken physics until now.. I'm currently studying for a dynamics unit test and came upon this question....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car whose brakes are locked skids to a stop in 70m from an initial velocity of 22.22m/s. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Vi: 22.22m/s
    Vf: 0m/s
    d: 70m
    a(deceleration): -3.526m/s^2
    g= 9.81m/s^2
    μ=?

2. Relevant equations

- Found deceleration using kinematics formula Vf^2=Vi^2 =2ad
    - Ff= μFn
    - Fg=mg
    - Fnet(y)=ma ; a(up/down)=0 ; Fnet(y)=0 ; Fn-Fg=0 ; Fn=Fg

3. The attempt at a solution

In order to find Fn, in order to be able to solve for μ, I need to know the mass of the car... I have no idea where to even begin solving for the mass of the car using the currently known values :(

If anyone has time, please point me in the right direction.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2012 #2
    I suppose it should be Fnet(x)=ma.
    What is Fnet(x) here? (Here only one force is acting in the direction of motion of car i.e force of friction)

EDIT: Oh, btw, welcome to PF!

4. Jul 21, 2012 #3
    Hi there :)
    I added an attachment.
    Fnet(x)=ma

We have the acceleration but still not the mass. That's where I lost it :uhh:

EDIT: Thanks very much! I've been circling around this forum for weeks now and finally decided to join since magic tutor couldn't save me and the test is on Monday :P

5. Jul 21, 2012 #4
    I haven't checked your calculations but can you write [itex]μmg=ma[/itex]? See the m cancels on both the sides, you don't require the mass of car now.

6. Jul 21, 2012 #5
    I'm not sure why you think you need the mass. If you already have the acceleration, then you know that the force of kinetic friction [itex]F_k = ma[/itex] is also equal to [itex]\mu F_g = \mu m g[/itex]. The mass cancels out.

7. Jul 21, 2012 #6
    OMG! I can't believe I missed that! I see what you did there :wink:
    Grazie mille!:!!)

8. Jul 21, 2012 #7
    Because logic and the obvious escape me :wink:
    This is what happens when a mathematically challenged biology student tries to do physics :redface: Thanks for your reply!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook