1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics - sled up a hill with several angles?

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A boy drags his sled of 90.0N at a constant speed up a 18 degree hill. He pulls with a 40.0N force on a rope which is 35 degrees above the horizontal.

a) What is coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow?

2. Relevant equations

Coefficieint = Force of Kinetic Friction / Normal Force

3. The attempt at a solution

I can find the normal force, no problem. It's just the kinetic friction I'm having trouble finding. I would think that the kinetic friction would be whatever the x component of the force applied is, since that is what is opposing the sled. However, if that was true, the Force net of the x prime would be 0. How would this be the kinetic friction then? Wouldn't it be for static since there is no movement?

I thought of doing this and checked yahoo answers, a response had a similar method. I just don't understand why to do this though.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2
    I'm not sure I understand. What is your coordinate system? Is the x-direction parallel to the slope, or parallel to the horizontal? What is x prime?

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
    The x direction is parallel to the slope. X basically the x direction (the slope, back and forth). Don't know why I said prime now, lol.

5. Mar 25, 2010 #4
    Ok, well first of all the x-component of the pulling force isn't equal to the friction force because gravity also has a component in the x-direction. Second, zero net force means zero acceleration, not necessarily no movement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook