Pulling a sled across snow with a rope at an angle

• Thread starter Purpleshinyrock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Rope
In summary, the man pulls a small sledge with a force F ⃗ of intensity equal to 50.0 N and that makes an angle with the horizontal θ = 30º. The sled moves horizontally and the resistance that the snow offers to the movement of the sled results in a frictional force of intensity F a = 15 N. The sled has a mass of 20 kg.
Purpleshinyrock
Poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
I need help understanding this exercise
Relevant Equations
dont know
Hello. Can someone tell me what area of phisics should I study to better understand this exercise and also what should I do to solve this exercise please?
A man pulls a small sledge with a force F ⃗ of intensity equal to 50.0 N and that makes an angle with the horizontal θ = 30º (see figure). The sled moves horizontally and the resistance that the snow offers to the movement of the sled results in a frictional force of intensity F a = 15 N. the sled has a mass of 20 kg. Determine:
Screenshot_2021-04-03 M23 - Fis_Qui_Aluno_int_ProvaModelo_vfinal pdf.png
a) the normal reaction to which the sled is subjected;

b) the resulting horizontal force on the sled;

c) the acceleration acquired by the sled;

d) the speed acquired by the sled after 10 s, assuming it started from rest.

(Use g = 10.0 m ∙ s -2 ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Purpleshinyrock said:
Can someone tell me what area of phisics should I study to better understand this exercise and also what should I do to solve this exercise please?
Assuming you know trig, you just need classical mechanics.

Purpleshinyrock said:
also what should I do to solve this exercise please?
With this type of problem, it is usually best to start by drawing a Free Body Diagram (FBD). So show us your FBD for the sled, and show us the equations that you write for it given the problem description and the questions...

Likes Purpleshinyrock and Vinh Nguyen
Last edited:
Likes Purpleshinyrock
Thank You all for the answers and advice I used them to learn about the topic and solve the problem,
heres my answer:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-04 2020-11-11 18 32 Office Lens(1) pdf.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-04 2020-11-11 18 32 Office Lens(1) pdf.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 231
Likes Lnewqban
Purpleshinyrock said:
heres my answer:
Illegible

phinds said:
Illegible
Is this better sir/maam?

Attachments

• 2020-11-11 18 32 Office Lens(1).pdf
    515.1 KB · Views: 167
Likes phinds
Purpleshinyrock said:
Is this better sir/maam?
It looks right. But, did you know that ##14m/s## is about ##50km/h##? That's pretty fast for running backwards on snow.

• Haha
Likes Purpleshinyrock
woahh He must be very motivated (and maybe superhuman)

1. How does the angle of the rope affect the amount of force needed to pull a sled across snow?

The angle of the rope affects the amount of force needed to pull a sled across snow because it changes the direction of the force being applied. The more acute the angle, the more force is needed to overcome the resistance of the snow.

2. What is the best angle to pull a sled across snow?

The best angle to pull a sled across snow is as close to 0 degrees as possible. This means pulling the sled in a straight line behind you, which minimizes the amount of force needed to overcome the resistance of the snow.

3. How does the weight of the sled affect the force needed to pull it across snow?

The weight of the sled directly affects the force needed to pull it across snow. The heavier the sled, the more force is needed to overcome the resistance of the snow. This is because the weight of the sled adds to the overall resistance that must be overcome.

4. Does the type of rope used affect the force needed to pull a sled across snow?

Yes, the type of rope used can affect the force needed to pull a sled across snow. A thicker and stronger rope will require less force to pull the sled, while a thinner and weaker rope will require more force. This is because a thicker rope can distribute the force more evenly and is less likely to break under tension.

5. How does the condition of the snow affect the force needed to pull a sled?

The condition of the snow can greatly affect the force needed to pull a sled. If the snow is soft and powdery, it will create more resistance and require more force to pull the sled. On the other hand, if the snow is hard and compact, it will create less resistance and require less force to pull the sled. Additionally, wet or icy snow can also affect the amount of force needed to pull a sled.