Sledding Down a Hill - Speed Calculation

In summary, when pushing a sled of mass m up an angled hill at a constant velocity, the net force on the sled is zero, meaning the force used to push the sled is equal to the friction force added to mg sin theta. When pushing the sled down the hill with the same force, it will accelerate with an acceleration of -2g sin theta. To find the velocity with respect to time, one could integrate the acceleration or use a standard kinematic formula.
DeldotB

Homework Statement

Say you push a sled of mass [itex] m [/itex] up a hill that is angled upwards at a certain angle [itex] \theta [/itex] at a constant velocity. The hill has snow on it offering a friction force that is equal to 30% of the sleds weight. If you pushed the sled down the hill with the same amount of force as you did pushing the sled up the hill, how fast does it go down the hill?

Homework Equations

Newtons Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since the sled is moving up the hill at a constant velocity, the net force on the sled must be zero.
This also means that the force with which you push is equal to the friction force [itex] \mu [/itex] added to [itex] mg sin \theta [/itex].

So: [itex] F_{push}= \mu + mgsin \theta=.30mg+mg sin \theta= mg(.30+sin \theta) [/itex].

If I push the sled down the hill with force [itex]F_{push} [/itex] then the sled will accelerate.

Since the frictional force now points in the opposite direction when I push the sled down the hill, I will have:

[itex] \mu-F_{push}-mgsin \theta = ma [/itex] which means [itex] ma=.30mg-mg(.30+sin \theta ) -mg sin \theta [/itex]

So, the sled accelerates down the hill with acceleration [itex] a=-2g sin \theta [/itex].

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. You might want to finish with an expression for the velocity with respect to time, as the problem did ask for how fast it goes.

gneill said:
Looks good. You might want to finish with an expression for the velocity with respect to time, as the problem did ask for how fast it goes.
Shall I integrate a?

You could. Although, since the acceleration is constant you might just use a standard kinematic formula.

Thanks for the help gneill

DeldotB said:
##\mu-F_{push}-mgsin \theta = ma##
Yes, if you are taking the positive direction for a as up the slope (which is why you got a negative acceleration at the end).

What is the formula for calculating the speed while sledding down a hill?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance / time. This means that the speed is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time it took to travel that distance.

What factors affect the speed while sledding down a hill?

The main factors that affect speed while sledding down a hill are the slope of the hill, the weight of the sled and rider, and the amount of friction between the sled and the snow.

Does the shape of the sled affect the speed while sledding down a hill?

Yes, the shape of the sled can greatly affect the speed while sledding down a hill. Sleek and aerodynamic sleds will have less air resistance and therefore can reach higher speeds compared to bulky or boxy sleds.

What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed while sledding down a hill?

Average speed is the overall speed of the sled throughout the entire trip down the hill, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed takes into account any changes in speed, while instantaneous speed only measures the speed at a single point.

How can I increase my speed while sledding down a hill?

To increase speed while sledding down a hill, you can choose a steeper hill, reduce friction by using a smoother or more aerodynamic sled, and minimize any additional weight on the sled. You can also try to tuck your body and legs in to reduce air resistance and increase speed.