E field calculation for q sphere

In summary, the individual has questions about the use of absolute value in writing limits for integrals and how it relates to finding the E field outside a sphere. They also ask for clarification on why the E field is 0 inside the sphere and inquire about the connections to Gauss' Law and the Divergence Theorem. They have scanned an image from Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics and ask for a clearer version to be provided.
fisher garry
Homework Statement
I have managed to come up until the equation underlined with orange
Relevant Equations
Look at the answer sheet
1575760009287.png
1575759624856.png

I have some questions about this answer. Why do they use absolute value when writing in the limits in the integral underlined with orange?
And how do they get from this value where I have underlined with orange to the answer for E outside the sphere. Can someone do the rewriting?
And last why is the E field 0 inside the sphere? Is it related to the calculations or not? Can anyone explain why it is 0?

I am using this to try to derive gauss law without the divergence theorem

Attachments

• 1575759436491.png
    1575759436491.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 1575759550504.png
    1575759550504.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 174
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a reason that your attached image is so fuzzy? Can you link to the source?

I have scanned Griffiths introduction to electrodynamics onto my computer (I have bought two copies of the book). I marked the equality sign in the question. What else is unclear? Is it the question or the answer?

fisher garry said:
What else is unclear?
The image is extremely fuzzy, and it is problematic for you to ask us to squint our eyes to try to decode it. Please post a much clearer scan or image. Thank you.

here is a different answer. Albeit my questions are in thefirst image in my original post. But this is the same assignment
1575770708264.png
1575770737607.png

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field for a sphere with a charge q?

The formula for calculating the electric field for a sphere with a charge q is E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

2. Can the electric field be calculated at any point outside of the sphere?

Yes, the electric field can be calculated at any point outside of the sphere using the same formula, E = kq/r^2. However, the distance (r) will be measured from the center of the sphere to the point outside the sphere.

3. How can the electric field be calculated at a point inside the sphere?

In order to calculate the electric field at a point inside the sphere, the sphere must be divided into smaller charged elements. The electric field at the point can then be calculated by adding up the contributions from each charged element, using the formula E = kq/r^2 for each element.

4. What is the direction of the electric field at any point around the sphere?

The direction of the electric field at any point around the sphere is radial, pointing away from the center of the sphere. This is because the electric field lines always emanate from positive charges and terminate on negative charges.

5. How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of the sphere?

The electric field varies inversely with the square of the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases, and as the distance decreases, the electric field increases. This relationship is described by the formula E = kq/r^2.