E=hw law for the energy of photons

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter I_wonder
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Law Photons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
I_wonder
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
At the risk of appearing somewhat obsessed, I'll ask something similar to another thread I'd opened previously:

Has anyone ever come across any experiments suggesting that the E=hw law for the energy of photons may require some correction, say, at a specific wavelength range?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At the risk of sounding silly... I think that at the frequencies at which the relation could possibly be violated (high frequencies), we would probably only be able to measure one or the other, and take the other as definition.
 
The theoretical limit for the wavelength of a photon is the Planck Length, 1.616x10^-35m. Photons with a shorter wavelength than that either do not exist or do not conform to known laws, including E=hf.

Other than that, there's nothing I know of to suggest E=hf doesn't hold up for the entire spectrum.