Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E=hw law for the energy of photons

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    At the risk of appearing somewhat obsessed, I'll ask something similar to another thread I'd opened previously:

Has anyone ever come across any experiments suggesting that the E=hw law for the energy of photons may require some correction, say, at a specific wavelength range?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2
    At the risk of sounding silly... I think that at the frequencies at which the relation could possibly be violated (high frequencies), we would probably only be able to measure one or the other, and take the other as definition.

4. May 13, 2008 #3
    The theoretical limit for the wavelength of a photon is the Planck Length, 1.616x10^-35m. Photons with a shorter wavelength than that either do not exist or do not conform to known laws, including E=hf.

Other than that, there's nothing I know of to suggest E=hf doesn't hold up for the entire spectrum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?