Visualising an alternative formulation of Planck's Radiation Law

In summary, the conversation discusses an alternative formulation of Planck's Law that links number density to energy gap. This extended version is valid for more complex systems and non-thermal distributions, such as a photon gas in equilibrium with electronic transitions. The original paper on this topic was published by P. Wurfel in 1982 and figure 5 in the paper shows the luminescence intensity of a GaAs LED for a certain choice of chemical potentials. This formulation is not an alternative to Planck's Law, but rather an extension that reduces to the original in the limit of zero chemical potential.
TheBigDig
TL;DR Summary
Unable to find graph of alternate formulation of Planck's Law
I've come across this alternative formulation of Planck's Law which links the number density to energy gap

[tex]n(E) = \frac{2\pi}{c^2 h^3} \frac{E^2}{exp\big(\frac{E-\mu}{k_BT})-1}[/tex]

I've tried visualising this relation and I imagine it will look similar to the spectral density relation but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever come across a graph of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBigDig said:
I've come across this alternative formulation of Planck's Law

Where? Please give a reference.

This is not Planck's Law. Since photons are massless bosons and also because there's no conservation law for photon number there cannot be a non-zero chemical potential for photons.

That is the generalized version of Planck's law extended towards more complex systems and non-thermal distribtions, which is valid e.g. for a photon gas in equilibrium with a set of electronic transitions, which are in turn in equilibrium with each other. To the best of my knowledge it was first given in:
P. Wurfel, Journal of Physics C, 15 (1982) ( https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0022-3719/15/18/012 ).

In that article, he does not directly show a graph of the distribution, but figure 5 shows the luminescence intensity of a GaAs LED for a certain choice of chemical potentials, which is at least closely connected to the initial distribution. If you really need a plot of the initial distribution, it might help to check the papers, which cite the manuscript above.

Likes PeterDonis and TheBigDig
I see. It's about photons in a cavity. Then at least a chemical potential is not mathematical suicide. I've to read the paper to make sense of it though, because which physical sense does it have if there's not a conservation law of some charge-like quantity (a "photon number" in some sense)?

Well, the focus is more on the emitter side. If you put some material with a band gap in a cavity, have it emit light and wait for equilibrium between photon emission and absorption to arise, the band gap energy will play an important role. If you pump the material somewhat more strongly, the lowest unoccupied state in the conduction band will not be exactly at the band gap energy but somewhat higher as more states become occupied. A similar thing goes on in the valence band. The difference between these two chemical potentials is the one that enters in this equation.

Likes vanhees71
Yes, but all this is not an alternative formulation of Planck's law but entirely different physics. E.g., a laser can be seen as a material with "negative temperature", describing population inversion.

Sure, I fully agree. If I remember correctly, the author himself describes it as an "extension", which reduces to the real Planck's law in the limit of zero chemical potential. Adding any finite value there certainly means that one does not discuss a standard black body.

Likes TheBigDig and vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Where? Please give a reference.
Sorry, it was from notes given by my lecturer. I looked up the reference material for the course but couldn't find any reference to it.

Cthugha said:
That is the generalized version of Planck's law extended towards more complex systems and non-thermal distribtions, which is valid e.g. for a photon gas in equilibrium with a set of electronic transitions, which are in turn in equilibrium with each other. To the best of my knowledge it was first given in:
P. Wurfel, Journal of Physics C, 15 (1982) ( https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0022-3719/15/18/012 ).

In that article, he does not directly show a graph of the distribution, but figure 5 shows the luminescence intensity of a GaAs LED for a certain choice of chemical potentials, which is at least closely connected to the initial distribution. If you really need a plot of the initial distribution, it might help to check the papers, which cite the manuscript above.

Thanks for this discussion and explanation guys, really improved my understanding. I will take a look at this paper.

1. What is Planck's Radiation Law?

Planck's Radiation Law is a mathematical formula that describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature.

2. Why is there a need for an alternative formulation of Planck's Radiation Law?

The original formulation of Planck's Radiation Law was based on classical physics and did not accurately predict the behavior of black body radiation at high frequencies. An alternative formulation was needed to better explain the observed data.

3. What is the difference between the original formulation and the alternative formulation of Planck's Radiation Law?

The original formulation used a continuous function to describe the spectral density, while the alternative formulation uses a discrete function. The alternative formulation also takes into account the quantization of energy at the atomic level.

4. How does visualizing an alternative formulation of Planck's Radiation Law help in understanding it?

Visualizing the alternative formulation can help to better understand the concept by providing a graphical representation of the discrete energy levels and their corresponding probabilities. This can also aid in comparing it to the original formulation and seeing how it differs.

5. What are the practical applications of the alternative formulation of Planck's Radiation Law?

The alternative formulation has been used in various fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics to accurately predict the behavior of black body radiation at high frequencies. It has also helped in the development of new technologies such as lasers and infrared detectors.