Deriving E=mc^2: A Basic Explanation

In summary: If two bodies, each of mass m, are placed at the origin of coordinates and moved away from each other with the speed v, the distance between them will be proportional to v^2/c^2. If a light ray is emitted from one of the bodies and directed toward the other, the time required for the light to reach the other body will be shorter than the time required for the body to recoillate. In this way the total momentum of the light and of the bodies is preserved."In summary, the E=mc^2 equation is a result of the equation for energy, which is in turn a result of Newton's second law and the law of conservation of momentum. The proof uses differential
villiami
I know this is basic, but how is E=mc^c derived.

Thanks Heaps

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the free particle Lagrangian and compute:
[tex] W=\vec{v}\cdot\frac{\partial L}{\partial\vec{v}}-L [/tex]

Daniel.

I notice that you, yourself, da willem, answered the question three times: once in each thread. If only that kind of persistence were rewarded somehow! :frown:

What do you mean?

Sorry, now I see

Those links DO NOT GIVE PROOF TO E=mc^{2}...Both noncovariant and covariant lagrangian formulations of free relativistic particle give the proof.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Those links DO NOT GIVE PROOF TO E=mc^{2}...Both noncovariant and covariant lagrangian formulations of free relativistic particle give the proof.

Daniel.
Can you explain in detail? I found myself difficult to understand the statement.

There's a lotta say,really.U need to build a lagrangian which would give the correct dynamics (motion equations) and be a relativistic/Lorentz invariant/scalar.
I think this stuff is described in electrodynamics books.In order to discuss relativistic particle in interaction with a classical EM field,u need to analyze the free particle first.I don't remember seing this issue in Jackson,nor in Goldstein,but I'm sure it has to be somewhere,just have the interest to look for.

Daniel.

Okay,here's an elementary proof,i'd call it HS level,using differential calculus.
Assume for simplicity only one space-component.So the whole discussion would involve scalars.

Newton's second law:

[tex] \frac{d(m_{rel}v)}{dt}=F [/tex](1)

Multiply with dt:

[tex] d(m_{rel}v)=Fdt [/tex] (2)

Substitute dt with:

[tex] dt=\frac{dx}{v} [/tex](3)

[tex] d(m_{rel}v)=F\frac{dx}{v} [/tex](4)

Define differential work:

[tex] \delta L=Fdx [/tex](5)

Use the Leibniz theorem in differential form:

[tex] dE=\delta L\Rightarrow dE=Fdx [/tex](6)

Rewrite (4) in terms of the differential of energy:

[tex] v d(m_{rel}v)=dE [/tex] (7)

Everybody knows that:

[tex] m_{rel}=\gamma m_{0}=\frac{m_{0}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}} [/tex] (8)

Expand (7):

[tex] v^{2}dm_{rel}+m_{rel}vdv=dW [/tex](9)

Differentiate (8):

[tex] dm_{rel}=\frac{m_{0}\gamma v dv}{c^{2}-v^{2}} [/tex](10)

Plug (10) in (9) and factor:

[tex] m_{0}\gamma v dv(\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}-v^{2}}+1)=dE [/tex](11)

Therefore:

[tex] m_{0}\gamma v dv \frac{c^{2}}{c^{2}-v^{2}}=dE [/tex](12)

Or:

[tex] c^{2}(\frac{m_{0}\gamma v dv}{c^{2}-v^{2}})=dE [/tex](13)

Taking into account (10),one finally finds the diferential form of Einstein's formula:

[tex] c^{2}dm_{rel}=dE [/tex](14)

Integrating with corresponding limits (zero relativistic mass,zero energy),one finds:

[tex] m_{rel}c^{2}=E [/tex]Daniel.

EDIT:THAT is a proof... :approve: It took me 10 minute to cook. :yuck: Though the Lagrangian approach is simply PERFECT. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the conceptual 'light box' approach that daWillem uses, which was originally proposed by Einstein, I believe. However, it is somewhat inaccurate because it assumes instantaneous transmission of forces through the box.

The box part really is not needed. All you need are two masses. Conceptually, it goes like this:

Two equal masses, m1 and m2 (=m) at co-ordinates -d,0 and d,0 (origin at centre of mass). Since light has energy E = hf and momentum E/c (= hf/c), when a photon leaves m1, m1 recoils with momentum E/c. When the photon is stopped by m2, m2 takes on momentum E/c = mv (so v=E/cm). In time t=2d/c, m1 moves distance s=vt = E2d/mc^2. At time t after m1 begins moving, m2 receives momentum E/c.

Now you can see where there is a problem. Unless some mass is transferred, the centre of mass has moved! Newton's third law takes care of this where the masses are not separated by a distance as the changes in motion occur at the same instant. But when the momentum change is provided by light, there will be a shift in the centre of mass unless light carries mass with it.

How much mass does it have to carry with it? Work it out: In order to conserve the centre of mass at time t, m1(-d) + m2d = 0 = m1'(-d1') + m2'd. Since d1'=d+s = d+E2d/mc^2, we have:

[tex](m + \Delta m)(d) = (m-\Delta m)(d + E2d/mc^2)[/tex]

[tex]md + \Delta md = md - \Delta md + mE2d/mc^2 - \Delta mE2d/mc^2)[/tex] or:

[tex]2\Delta md + \Delta mE2d/mc^2 = 2Ed/c^2[/tex]

Ignoring the negligible 1/mc^2 term (this actually disappears if you take into account the [itex]\gamma[/itex] factor but we can avoid the math because we can see that [itex]m>>\Delta m[/itex]):

[tex]\Delta m = E/c^2[/tex] or:

[tex]E = \Delta mc^2[/tex]

The explanation from Einstein's "m = L/c^2" paper in 1905 is also quite understandable. The original translation is here:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/E_mc2/www/

AM

1. How was the equation E=mc^2 derived?

The equation E=mc^2 was derived by Albert Einstein in 1905 as part of his theory of special relativity. It was based on the idea that energy (E) and mass (m) are equivalent and can be converted into one another.

2. What does each variable in the equation represent?

The letter E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. Why is the speed of light squared in the equation?

The speed of light is squared in the equation because it is a constant value and is used to convert mass into energy. Squaring the speed of light allows for a larger amount of energy to be produced from a small amount of mass.

4. How does E=mc^2 relate to nuclear energy?

E=mc^2 is the basis for understanding nuclear energy. In nuclear reactions, the mass of the particles involved is converted into energy according to this equation. It is the principle behind the immense amount of energy released in nuclear reactions.

5. Is E=mc^2 a universal equation?

Yes, E=mc^2 is a universal equation that applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size or speed. It is a fundamental principle of physics and has been proven through numerous experiments.