E =mc{squared} How Did He Arrive At This ?

SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Integral said:
Just for the record, Einstein did not just "guess" this relationship. It is a derived result of aplying the Lorentz transforms to the kinematics equations of physics.
Einstein had to "guess" several things in order to derive relativity, but they were very educated guesses. There was no reason to assume a priori that the laws of physics would be the same in all inertial frames at speeds near that of light. It was clear from the measurements that classical theory was wrong, but the question was which part? He had to guess which aspects of classical theory to keep and which to trash.

Is it true Einstein sucked at algebra, and that he handed his theories to some mathematician friends of his to derive an equation (gamma) that would model his relativity theories?

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I dunno.Personally,I doubt it.He definitely wasn't a mathematician and if he were,he would have gotten all credit for GR.So,he shared it with David Hilbert.

Daniel.

Einstein had a lot of trouble with the mathematics of his theory. Einstein was not a mathematician, he was a physicist was an imagination, with which he revolutionized the world :)

I remember he rejected a major part of his discoveries, but I don't remember which. He refused to believe, I think that the universe was expanding. Why is this? Science is absolute is it not? Once you prove something, its proven and should be accepted?

SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
whozum said:
I remember he rejected a major part of his discoveries, but I don't remember which. He refused to believe, I think that the universe was expanding.
You're thinking of his original model of the universe that included a cosmological constant. He later said it was a mistake to include it because the observations showed an expanding universe. This implied that he believed those observations. However, I think he had a problem with black holes. I'm not an expert on the history.

Why is this? Science is absolute is it not? Once you prove something, its proven and should be accepted?
He didn't prove that his theory applied to all situations. It probably doesn't. Newton's certainly didn't.