Can you reverse Einstein's famous E=mc^2 equation?

In summary: At B level, I think the important thing is to straighten out people's misconceptions rather than having a high level discussion. If we cannot do this, then what is the point of a B level thread? Nobody should expect (or engage in!) high level discussions at B level.
gabi123
E=mc^2 states that when you speed up matter to the speed of light, it becomes pure energy, of mc^2 joules. Now, if that is true, can you reverse the equation? Wouldn't energy speed up to the negative speed of light(-c^2), turn into matter? Or is that the wrong balance?

Physics news on Phys.org
gabi123 said:
E=mc^2 states that when you speed up matter to the speed of light, it becomes pure energy, of mc^2 joules.
No it does not state that. It states that the mass in any object corresponds to an equivalent amount of energy - relating the energy of an object to its inertia. Also note that there is no such thing as "pure energy". Energy is a property of matter and fields, not a substance of its own.

gabi123 said:
Now, if that is true
It is not, so I will not comment on the rest of your post.

Likes berkeman
Orodruin said:
No it does not state that. It states that the mass in any object corresponds to an equivalent amount of energy - relating the energy of an object to its inertia. Also note that there is no such thing as "pure energy". Energy is a property of matter and fields, not a substance of its own.It is not, so I will not comment on the rest of your post.
It is true to the extent that a certain amount of energy can be the equivalent amount of mass.

lychette said:
It is true to the extent that a certain amount of energy can be the equivalent amount of mass.
Did you even read the OP? The first sentence in the OP is simply false and makes no sense in relativity.

Orodruin said:
Did you even read the OP? The first sentence in the OP is simply false and makes no sense in relativity.
I did read the first statement but it in no way contradicts his/her later statement that energy can be converted into mass according to the theory of relativity.
My contribution relates to that second statement.

lychette said:
I did read the first statement but it in no way contradicts his/her later statement that energy can be converted into mass according to the theory of relativity.
My contribution relates to that second statement.
Please read the statement again. It refers to reversing "when you speed up matter to the speed of light, it becomes pure energy", which is pure nonsense in itself.

Orodruin said:
which is pure nonsense in itself

Funny, I thought that's what I wrote.

Since the whole premise of this thread is based on something incorrect, what do we have to discuss?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanadium 50 said:
Funny, I thought that's what I wrote.

Since the hole premise of this thread is based on something incorrect, what do we have to discuss?
It was, but you deleted that post.

At B level, I think the important thing is to straighten out people's misconceptions rather than having a high level discussion. If we cannot do this, then what is the point of a B level thread? Nobody should expect (or engage in!) high level discussions at B level. Having misconceptions - often fueled by popular science - is not directly equivalent to being a crackpot.

Likes Nugatory and berkeman

1. Can you actually reverse Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2?

Technically, no. The equation itself cannot be reversed, as it is a fundamental law of physics. However, the variables within the equation can be rearranged to solve for different quantities.

2. Can you explain the meaning of each component of the equation?

Yes, "E" represents energy, "m" represents mass, and "c" represents the speed of light. The equation shows the relationship between these three quantities, stating that energy is equal to the mass multiplied by the speed of light squared.

3. Is it possible to change the value of "c" in the equation?

No, the speed of light is a constant in the equation. It is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel in the universe, and it cannot be changed.

4. Can the equation be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the equation is applicable to a wide range of situations in our daily lives. For example, it can be used to calculate the energy released in a nuclear reaction or the amount of energy produced by the sun.

5. Are there any exceptions or limitations to the equation?

While the equation is a fundamental law of physics, it has been shown to have limitations in certain extreme conditions, such as the quantum realm or in situations involving gravity. However, for most practical purposes, the equation holds true and is a valuable tool for understanding the relationship between mass and energy.