E=mc2 | If something has near zero mass, can it move?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of objects with near 0 mass and their ability to move or accelerate. The question is raised about how electrons, with their small mass, are still able to move and orbit. The conversation also touches on the idea of electrons behaving as waves. The expert reminds the speaker that objects with zero mass can still travel at the speed of light, and objects with non-zero mass can travel at any speed below that. The expert also questions the assumption that something with near 0 mass would not be able to move, and suggests that the speaker may be misinterpreting the equation E=mc^2.
OSF
Ok, I'm still only in high school (UK) and we haven't covered Quantum Physics yet, but I know a thing or two; however, don't get mad if I get something wrong.

So here's my question:

Am I correct by saying that if something has let's say theoretically 0 or near 0 mass it would not be able to move/accelerate? If so, how do electrons move, for example, when being fired from a source/or just orbiting a nucleus? Is that another reason towards electrons behaving as waves?

Do correct me, if I have made mistakes - I am still trying to learn new things. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Objects of zero mass only travel at C. Objects with non-zero mass can travel at any speed below C.

Why would something with near 0 mass not be able to move? I suspect you're seeing something that isn't there with [tex]E=mc^2[/tex]...

1. What is the significance of E=mc2 in science?

E=mc2 is one of the most famous equations in science, known as the mass-energy equivalence equation. It shows the relationship between mass (m) and energy (E) and states that energy is equal to mass multiplied by the speed of light squared (c2).

2. How does E=mc2 relate to the movement of objects?

E=mc2 does not directly relate to the movement of objects. It is a fundamental equation in understanding the relationship between mass and energy. The equation does not describe how fast an object will move, but rather the amount of energy it contains.

3. Can something with near zero mass move at the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel at the speed of light because it would require an infinite amount of energy. Objects with near zero mass, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light because they have no rest mass.

4. How does E=mc2 support the concept of nuclear energy?

E=mc2 is the basis for nuclear energy. In nuclear reactions, a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy. This is possible because the speed of light is a very large number, so even a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy when multiplied by c2.

5. Does E=mc2 apply to all forms of energy?

Yes, E=mc2 applies to all forms of energy, not just nuclear energy. It shows that energy and mass are interchangeable and can be converted into one another. This is seen in everyday life through processes like burning fossil fuels, where a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy.