Discover the Transcendental Nature of E+pi at AMS Meetings

• Thread starter J.F.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that e+pi is irrational, not transcendental. The conversation also touches on a related quiz question about the existence of an irrational number x such that pi+e+x is a rational number. The discussion includes a link to a previous thread on the same topic and a paper currently under development that may provide a more rigorous proof of the problem.
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks so much! I am fascinated by these problems! This is proving e+pi irrational, not transcendental.

Quiz:

Is there an irrational number x such that pi+e+x = (a rational number)?

Three and a half years ago JF started the same thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=203040 .

Personally, I don't understand anything what that guy is saying. His mastery of the English language is also kind of off-putting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Antiphon said:
Quiz:

There are an infinite number of them and they are dense in R. They do have a Lebesgue measure of 0, though :biggrin:

Antiphon said:
Quiz:

i vote for r - e - pi, where r is rational.

Deveno said:
i vote for r - e - pi, where r is rational.

You win the quiz.

camilus said:
thanks so much! I am fascinated by these problems! This is proving e+pi irrational, not transcendental.
It agree I'm sorry:confused:

its okay. I don't understand the proof anyways, is there a more rigorous version somewhere else? this looks like a preprint or an outline, not the actual proof.

camilus said:
its okay. I don't understand the proof anyways, is there a more rigorous version somewhere else? this looks like a preprint or an outline, not the actual proof.

http://arxiv.com/abs/0907.0467v4
This paper is under development, thank you for your patience while we expand it! o:)

1. What is the purpose of "Discover the Transcendental Nature of E+pi at AMS Meetings"?

The purpose of "Discover the Transcendental Nature of E+pi at AMS Meetings" is to explore the mathematical relationship between the transcendental numbers e and pi, and to discuss their significance in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. Who can attend AMS Meetings?

AMS Meetings are open to anyone interested in mathematics, including mathematicians, scientists, students, and members of the general public.

3. What topics are typically covered at AMS Meetings?

AMS Meetings cover a wide range of topics within mathematics, including pure and applied mathematics, statistics, and mathematical physics.

4. How can attending AMS Meetings benefit my research or career?

Attending AMS Meetings can provide opportunities to network with other mathematicians and scientists, learn about the latest research and developments in the field, and potentially collaborate on projects or secure funding for research.

5. Is "Discover the Transcendental Nature of E+pi at AMS Meetings" a recurring event?

Yes, "Discover the Transcendental Nature of E+pi at AMS Meetings" is an ongoing event that is held at various AMS Meetings throughout the year. It is a popular topic and is often included in the program at different conferences.