Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earning second undergraudate in physics and going on to Ph.D.

  1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    I am curious. In college I started out as a physics major but then switched to behavioral science which was the degree I graduated with. I left physics because I did not think I was very good at mathematics but to do this day it bugs me that I quit.

    Is it possible to go back to school to earn a second undergraduate degree full time and then immediately to on to earn a Ph.D. or do I have to earn an MA after my undergraduate degree?

    Thanks for the help
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2
    I have a degree in international affairs and am now going back to school for another undergrad in physics. Whether or not I have the brains to make it all the way to a PhD remains to be seen, but that is my goal.

    I don't believe that you necessarily need a Master's Degree to continue on to a PhD program. That is my understanding. I'm sure you'll get comments from people far more qualified to offer advice in this arena than I.
  4. Nov 2, 2006 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    It's difficult to give any relevant advice and you don't even tell us where you are!

    [Let this be a hint to everyone who intends to seek advice - FILL UP YOUR INFO!]

    If you are in the US, then you may want to read this:


  5. Nov 2, 2006 #4
    I appreciate the advice and the link you referred me to answered my questions. I am currently living in Colorado Springs, Colorado and so am looking at CU-Boulder or Wyoming as the schools I would attend. Thanks again.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook