Earth moon motions, distance etc.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tidal friction and its impact on the Earth and Moon. The speaker is looking for mathematical explanations of this phenomenon, possibly using a Lagrangian function. They mention finding some papers on Google Scholar regarding tidal friction and the rate of increase of the Moon's orbital radius. The conversation ends with a request for a link or name to further explore the topic.
Vrbic
Hello,
I think I quite understand what is happening with Earth and Moon. Losses of angular momentum due to tidal effects. But I would like to find some article or text where this is described mathematically. I guess using some lagrangian function or something like that and for example the result would be some function of a distance on a time. I didn't find anything more with calculations.

Thank you, for your answers.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think I found some papers of interest recently with a google scholar search on tidal friction and rate of increase of moon orbital radius.

There is some stuff out there with increasing accuracy in the hydrodynamic models.

Dr. Courtney said:
I think I found some papers of interest recently with a google scholar search on tidal friction and rate of increase of moon orbital radius.

There is some stuff out there with increasing accuracy in the hydrodynamic models.

Nice, could you give me some link or name?
Thank you very much.

1. What is the distance between the Earth and the Moon?

The average distance between the Earth and the Moon is about 238,855 miles (384,400 kilometers). However, this distance can vary due to the Moon's elliptical orbit around the Earth.

2. How long does it take for the Moon to orbit the Earth?

The Moon takes approximately 27.3 days to orbit the Earth once. This is known as its sidereal period, which is the time it takes for the Moon to return to the same position in its orbit relative to the stars. However, due to the Earth's orbit around the Sun, it takes about 29.5 days for the Moon to cycle through its phases (from new moon to new moon), known as its synodic period.

3. What causes the phases of the Moon?

The phases of the Moon are caused by the changing angle of sunlight hitting the Moon's surface as it orbits the Earth. The Moon's appearance changes from our perspective on Earth as it moves through its monthly cycle of waxing and waning.

4. What is the difference between a lunar and solar eclipse?

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth passes between the Sun and the Moon, casting a shadow on the Moon. This can only happen during a full moon. A solar eclipse, on the other hand, occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, casting a shadow on the Earth. This can only happen during a new moon.

5. How does the Moon affect the Earth's tides?

The Moon's gravitational pull on the Earth causes the tides. As the Moon orbits the Earth, its gravity pulls on the Earth's oceans, creating a bulge on the side of the Earth closest to the Moon. This is what causes high tide. As the Moon continues its orbit, the bulge shifts, causing low tide. The Sun also plays a role in tides, but to a lesser extent due to its greater distance from the Earth.