Earth's Gravitational Force On Me

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the gravitational force between two objects, one with a mass of 85.1 Kg and the other with a mass equivalent to the Earth's mass. The formula F=G((m1xm2)/r^2) is used, but there is an error in the calculation due to a conversion mistake in the distance units. The correct answer should be about 834 Newtons. The conversation ends with the issue being resolved and thanks being given for the help.
Zack Davis
I am working on a problem to sate my own curiosity. :) My mass is approximately 85.1 Kg. The Earth's mass is approximately (5.972x10^24 kg) and the distance between our center of masses is roughly the same as the Earth's radius of (6371 km) so I was wondering; what would the Earth's gravitational force be between the two of us. My answer is 8.3514...x10^8 N
(Using the formula:
F=G ( (m1xm2)/r^2) )
Am I correct? Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh my, no. One kilogram is equal to about 9.8 Newtons here on Earth, so you should be getting about 834 Newtons, or 8.34x102. It looks like you've made some sort of order of magnitude error, but I can't be sure.

Hi Zack Davis. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Your answer is a little greater than expected. I was thinking more like 85.1x9.81 N

Did you convert distance to metres for that formula?

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Did you convert distance to metres for that formula?

I bet that's it. 6,000 Km squared is 3.6x107, but 6,000,000 meters squared is 3.6x1013, a difference of 6 orders of magnitude, which is how far off his final value is.

I found the problem, I was acting as though I am a celestial body! Haha. Thank you all for the help!

1. How does Earth's gravitational force affect me?

Earth's gravitational force pulls all objects towards its center, including humans. This force keeps us grounded and determines our weight on the surface of the Earth.

2. How is the strength of Earth's gravitational force determined?

The strength of Earth's gravitational force is determined by the mass of the Earth and the distance between an object and the Earth's center. The closer an object is to the Earth's center, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

3. Can Earth's gravitational force change?

Earth's gravitational force is constant and does not change. However, the strength of the force may vary slightly depending on the location and elevation on Earth's surface.

4. How does Earth's gravitational force compare to other planets?

Earth's gravitational force is relatively strong compared to other planets in our solar system. However, it is not the strongest. For example, Jupiter has a much stronger gravitational force due to its larger mass.

5. What happens if Earth's gravitational force suddenly disappeared?

If Earth's gravitational force suddenly disappeared, everything on the surface of the Earth would float away into space. This would have catastrophic effects on all living organisms and the Earth's atmosphere.