Earth's Magnetic Field vs Cell Phone EMF

In summary, your tri-field meter is of no use in characterizing the radiation from cell phones and standing outside will do more harm than using a Bluetooth headset.
Ratfish
If the Earth's magnetic field as measured on the surface of the Earth is somewhere between .3 and .6G and cell phone doses are around 2mG, is it then absurd to be at all concerned with even heavy exposures to the kind of low grade doses that cell phones and other electrical devices produce?

I recently purchased a "tri-field meter" for fun and I found that everything with an electric motor in the home produces far more EMF than a cell phone, even right next to it during a call. The highest reading I got was from a corded electric hair clipper. That pegged the scale, which goes up to 100 mG. While I'm not too concerned about the cell phone, I wonder about other devices. An MRI is something like 10,000G, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that it could have some effect, although even at that strength it's doubtful that it could ever alter DNA like a standard ionizing radiation X-ray can.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, your meter does not register radio frequency fields and is therefore of no use in characterizing the radiation from cell phones. Depending on the type of service, a phone radiates in the UHF (GSM, 900 MHz) or microwave (CDMA, PCS at 1900 MHz). Second, body interactions are frequency dependent. Very low frequencies mostly pass right through. Bluetooth headsets, on the other hand, radiate in the unregulated ISM band that is also shared by microwave ovens, where the body absorbs virtually 100% of the energy.

BTW, emf is different than magnetic field.

Last edited:
marcusl said:
Bluetooth headsets, on the other hand, radiate in the unregulated ISM band that is also shared by microwave ovens, where the body absorbs virtually 100% of the energy.

The energy of the photons your body absorbs is still much less than that of the sun. You'll do more harm standing outside than using a Bluetooth headset.

What is Earth's magnetic field?

Earth's magnetic field is a natural phenomenon that surrounds our planet and is generated by the Earth's core. It acts as a protective shield against harmful solar and cosmic radiation.

What is Cell Phone EMF?

Cell Phone EMF (electromagnetic field) is a type of radiation emitted from cell phones and other electronic devices. This radiation is a form of non-ionizing radiation and is considered relatively low energy compared to other forms of radiation.

How does Earth's magnetic field interact with Cell Phone EMF?

Earth's magnetic field can act as a barrier, shielding us from some of the effects of Cell Phone EMF. However, the strength and impact of the EMF can vary depending on the location and strength of Earth's magnetic field in that area.

Are there any health concerns related to the interaction between Earth's magnetic field and Cell Phone EMF?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that the interaction between Earth's magnetic field and Cell Phone EMF poses any significant health risks. However, it is always recommended to use electronic devices, including cell phones, in moderation.

Can Earth's magnetic field be affected by Cell Phone EMF?

Cell Phone EMF is not powerful enough to affect the Earth's magnetic field. The Earth's magnetic field is a natural and constant phenomenon, while Cell Phone EMF is a man-made and relatively weak form of radiation.