How Do You Determine Position as a Function of Time from Acceleration?

• Thread starter MotoPayton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary: I am such an idiot for not recognizing the diffeq... Thank you I will put my head in a hole nowThis thread can be deletedMy bad I meant to write 25. My initial question was asking for the position as a function of time as the particle moves down the positive x-axis given the specific initial conditions stated above.I don't care about the velocity as a function of x nor the velocity at x=0. Those are all easily obtainable..As I said, \displaystyle\ \frac{dx}{dt}=v\ .That gives you the differential equation:\displaystyle\ \frac{dx}{dt}=\sqrt{
MotoPayton
say your are giving the acceleration as a=2x and you know it has an initial velocity of 5m/s at x=0,t=0
How the heck do you find the position as function of time??
It seems so simple but really has me stumped. It must be possible.

I have played around with vdv=ads and integrated trying to unlock time..

Physics news on Phys.org
MotoPayton said:
say you are given the acceleration as a=2x and you know it has an initial velocity of 5m/s at x=0,t=0

I have played around with vdv=ads and integrated trying to unlock time..
Write [itex]\ a=2x\ [/itex] as [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dv}{dt}=2x\ .[/itex]

Then use the chain rule to write [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dv}{dt}\ [/itex] as [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dv}{dx}\,\frac{dx}{dt}\,,\ [/itex] but realize that [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dx}{dt}=v\ .[/itex]

That leaves you with a separable differential equation with variables, x and v .

SammyS said:
Write [itex]\ a=2x\ [/itex] as [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dv}{dt}=2x\ .[/itex]

Then use the chain rule to write [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dv}{dt}\ [/itex] as [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dv}{dx}\,\frac{dx}{dt}\,,\ [/itex] but realize that [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dx}{dt}=v\ .[/itex]

That leaves you with a separable differential equation with variables, x and v .

Ya I agree, and once you separate variables and integrate you can obtain v=sqrt(2*x^2+25)
That leaves me no closer to finding the position as function of time...

Last edited:
MotoPayton said:
Ya I agree, and once you separate variables and integrate you can obtain v=sqrt(2*x^2+10)
That leaves me no closer to finding the position as function of time...
That's not quite right.

It gives v = √(10) when x = 0 .

Once you fix that, remember, [itex]\displaystyle\ v=\frac{dx}{dt}\ .[/itex]

SammyS said:
That's not quite right.

It gives v = √(10) when x = 0 .

Once you fix that, remember, [itex]\displaystyle\ v=\frac{dx}{dt}\ .[/itex]

My bad I meant to write 25. My initial question was asking for the position as a function of time as the particle moves down the positive x-axis given the specific initial conditions stated above.
I don't care about the velocity as a function of x nor the velocity at x=0. Those are all easily obtainable..

Last edited:
I am going to move this post to advanced physics. Please don't get mad at me moderators as I think there is a simple solution to this.

Hardest problem that I can't figure out...

say your are giving the acceleration as a=2x and you know it has an initial velocity of 5m/s at x=0,t=0

Moderator's Note: Multiple threads merged​

Last edited by a moderator:

The trick is to use the chain rule to write a = dv/dt = dv/dx ##\cdot## dx/dt = v dv/dx.

See if you can use this to find v as a function of x. Then see if you can figure out a way to determine x as a function of t.

Are you familiar with differential equations? Are you sure it's not [itex]a(t) = 2t[/itex]? If you really mean [itex]a(t)= 2x(t)[/itex], then you have a second order differential equation.

Pengwuino said:
Are you familiar with differential equations? Are you sure it's not [itex]a(t) = 2t[/itex]? If you really mean [itex]a(t)= 2x(t)[/itex], then you have a second order differential equation.

oh my god I am such an idiot for not recognizing the diffeq... Thank you
I will put my head in a hole now

This thread can be deleted

MotoPayton said:
My bad I meant to write 25. My initial question was asking for the position as a function of time as the particle moves down the positive x-axis given the specific initial conditions stated above.
I don't care about the velocity as a function of x nor the velocity at x=0. Those are all easily obtainable..

As I said, [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dx}{dt}=v\ .[/itex]

That gives you the differential equation:
[itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{dx}{dt}=\sqrt{2\,x^2+25\,\ .}[/itex]​
... and you should care about the velocity at x=0 . That's one of your boundary conditions.

Yes, if you are familiar with 2nd order differential equations, Pengwuino's suggestion is the way to go. My suggestion involves solving a couple of first-order differential equations using separation of variables and takes more steps. Not as good.

1. How do I know if a problem is truly the "easiest" one for me?

The easiest problem for one person may not be the easiest for another. It ultimately depends on your individual strengths and weaknesses. A problem that may seem easy to one person may be difficult for another. The best way to determine if a problem is truly easy for you is to assess your own knowledge and skills related to the problem.

2. Can I use any resources to solve the "easiest" problem?

Yes, you can use any resources that are available to you to solve the problem. This can include textbooks, online resources, or asking for help from a teacher or mentor. However, it is important to make sure that you are not simply copying the solution from these resources, but rather using them to guide your own understanding and problem-solving process.

3. What if I still can't figure out the "easiest" problem even after using resources?

If you are still having trouble solving the problem, it may not be as easy as you initially thought. It is important to not get discouraged and to keep trying. Sometimes taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective can help. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts to make it easier to solve.

4. Should I ask for help if I can't solve the "easiest" problem?

Yes, asking for help is always a good idea if you are struggling with a problem. This can be from a teacher, tutor, or even a classmate. Explaining your thought process and where you are getting stuck can also help you better understand the problem and how to solve it.

5. Is it okay to make mistakes while trying to solve the "easiest" problem?

Absolutely! Making mistakes is a natural part of the problem-solving process. It is important to learn from your mistakes and use them to improve your understanding and approach to the problem. Don't be afraid to try different methods or approaches, and don't give up if you make a mistake. Keep learning and trying, and you will eventually solve the problem.