1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If acceleration is stated is terms of velocity...

1. Dec 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not a particular problem but a generic one. If one has acceleration stated in terms of velocity (or position) such as a=v, how do we convert these values into time?

2. Relevant equations
    ads=vdv
    ad(theta)=wdw

And of course, the usual time-based derivative relations for acceleration, velocity and positions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Sorry, guys, this one is killing me right now.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all, this cannot be the relationship as it is dimensionally inconsistent.

Second, what you have is just a differential equation that you need to solve.

4. Dec 8, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

You can use the integral-differential relationship between the two quantities. Also, a=v is dimensionally incorrect. The equation could be a=kv, where k has the unit of time-1.

5. Dec 11, 2016 #4
    Allright, clarified question... let's saw we have $$\alpha=50\sqrt{\omega}$$. This is, I believe, equivalent to the diffyQ $$y''=50\sqrt{y'}$$. The book solves the equation by taking from $$dw/dt=a $$ $$ dt=dw/a$$, and integrating with bounds that are suggested by the problem. Wolframalpha solves the problem by giving $$y=\frac{625t^3}{3}+c_1^2+25c_1t^2+c_2$$

So my real question is.. how do I reconcile these two, or am I wrong about something? (I can't find appropriate values of the constants of integration in the case of the last equation!)

6. Dec 11, 2016 #5
    In that case, ##y## is ##\theta## and the rest is the same, although I think Wolfram Alpha must have had a factor of ##t## on the ##c_1^2##, did it not?

Since ##\alpha = d\omega / dt##, you can rewrite the first equation as:

$$\frac{d\omega}{ dt} = 50\sqrt{\omega}$$

And then through separation of variables:

$$\frac{d\omega}{50\sqrt{\omega}} = dt$$

Then integrate both sides:

$$\frac{1}{50}\int\frac{d\omega}{\sqrt{\omega}} = \int dt$$

$$\frac{1}{25}\sqrt{\omega} = t + c_1$$

$$\omega= 625t^2 + 1250c_1t + 625c_1^2$$

Note that if we roll a factor of 25 into ##c_1##, this becomes:

$$\omega= 625t^2 + 50c_1t + c_1^2$$

This is ok to do because the constants are arbitrary. And since ##\omega = d\theta / dt##, you can repeat the process:

$$\frac{d\theta}{dt} = 625t^2 + 50c_1t + c_1^2$$

$$d\theta = (625t^2 + 50c_1t + c_1^2) dt$$

$$\int d\theta = \int (625t^2 + 50c_1t + c_1^2) dt$$

$$\theta = \frac{625}{3}t^3 + 25c_1t^2 + c_1^2 t + c_2$$

As for the boundary conditions, you can redo the above using the boundary conditions as the limits of integration. Or, you can use the above equation to plug the values for ##y## and ##t## that you are given, and solve for the arbitrary constants. You'll need two conditions to solve for both constants.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted