Determine acceleration from velocity-position plot

In summary, the velocity of a particle is given by v=5s^(3/2) and the acceleration is given by a=50mm/s.
bkw2694

Homework Statement

The velocity of a particle along s-axis is given as v = 5s^(3/2) , where "s" is in millimeters and v is in millimeters/second. Determine the acceleration when "s" is 2 mm.

So I've been having trouble with differential equations, and I think that's where I'm messing up. My classes haven't really covered velocity-position plots, just velocity-time plots and my book is confusing. The answer to the question is 150 mm/s.

Homework Equations

∫vdv = ∫a ds

The Attempt at a Solution

First I used the equation to try to solve it.
∫(0 to v) vdv = ∫(0 to 2) a ds
This gave me (1/2)v^2 = 2a
Then I plugged v = 5s^(3/2) into it and got (1/2)(25s^3) = 2a
Then I plugged in s = 2 and got 100 = 2a
Then I finished solving for a and got a = 50 mm/s, which is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
bkw2694 said:

Homework Statement

The velocity of a particle along s-axis is given as v = 5s^(3/2) , where "s" is in millimeters and v is in millimeters/second. Determine the acceleration when "s" is 2 mm.

So I've been having trouble with differential equations, and I think that's where I'm messing up. My classes haven't really covered velocity-position plots, just velocity-time plots and my book is confusing. The answer to the question is 150 mm/s.

Homework Equations

∫vdv = ∫a ds

The Attempt at a Solution

First I used the equation to try to solve it.
∫(0 to v) vdv = ∫(0 to 2) a ds
This gave me (1/2)v^2 = 2a
The acceleration is not constant, so its integral with respect to s is not a*s.
It is true (applying chain rule) that a=dv/dt = (dv/ds)(ds/dt)=v dv/ds. Find dv/ds and plug in the formula for v.

Likes bkw2694
ehild said:
The acceleration is not constant, so its integral with respect to s is not a*s.
It is true (applying chain rule) that a=dv/dt = (dv/ds)(ds/dt)=v dv/ds. Find dv/ds and plug in the formula for v.

Sorry if I'm not following correctly, but are you saying no integral is required for this question?

Solving dv/ds gives me (15/2)s^(1/2). Then multiplying that by the original "v" gives me 5*15/2 (s^2) which after plugging in s = 2 gives me 150mm, the correct answer. Is that the correct setup to this question? And are you saying that I can't use the integrals if acceleration isn't constant?

Thanks in advance!

Can you integrate the acceleration if you do not know what function of s it is ?

ehild said:
Can you integrate the acceleration if you do not know what function of s it is ?

So for me to integrate the acceleration, I need to know a(s)?

bkw2694 said:
The answer to the question is 150 mm/s.

bkw2694 said:
gives me 150mm, the correct answer

You are being sloppy with your units. Now is the time to break this habit.

bkw2694 said:
So for me to integrate the acceleration, I need to know a(s)?

The integral of a function ∫f(x)dx is a new function, the derivative of which is equal to f(x). F(x)= ∫f(x)dx is called the antiderivative of f(x). The integral of a constant c is cx, but otherwise ∫f(x)dx is not equal to f*x.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated from a velocity-position plot?

Acceleration can be calculated by finding the slope of the line on a velocity-position plot. The slope represents the change in velocity over the change in position.

3. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down in the direction of motion. For example, a car decelerating while braking has a negative acceleration.

4. How is acceleration related to velocity and position?

Acceleration is the second derivative of position and the first derivative of velocity. This means that it is the rate of change of velocity and the rate of change of the rate of change of position.

5. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the SI (International System of Units) system. In other systems, it can be expressed as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or miles per hour squared (mi/h^2).