Easy Limits Q. Homework: Show $\lim_{x\to2}\frac{x+1}{x+2}=\frac{3}{4}$

  • Thread starter Thread starter quanticism
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
quanticism
Messages
29
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement



Show that
[tex] \lim_{x\to2}\frac{x+1}{x+2}=\frac{3}{4}.[/tex]

Homework Equations



Let
[tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]. We seek a number [tex]\delta>0[/tex]: if [tex]|x-2|<\delta[/tex] then [tex]|\frac{x+1}{x+2}-\frac{3}{4}|<\epsilon.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Now
[tex] |\frac{x+1}{x+2}-\frac{3}{4}|=|\frac{4x+4-3x-6}{4(x+2)}|=|\frac{x-2}{4(x+2)}|.[/tex]

So for
[tex] |\frac{x+1}{x+2}-\frac{3}{4}|<\epsilon[/tex], we require [tex]|\frac{x-2}{4(x+2)}|<\epsilon.[/tex]

ie.
[tex] |\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<4\epsilon.[/tex]

I got stuck here since I'm not sure how to express
[tex] |\frac{x-2}{x+2}|[/tex]
in terms of |x-2|
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Berko said:
So, |x-2| < 4e|x+2| = delta...

Don't we have to express delta as a function of epsilon only?

[strike]Or am I meant to argue that since we're looking in the neighbourhood around x=2, we can choose delta to be <4e|4|=16e. But this statement doesn't really click with me so if it's true, can someone clarify why this works[/strike]

Edit: Pretty sure that ^ isn't going down the right track.
 
Last edited:
You are supposed to get [tex]\delta[/tex] in terms of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] only. Try this write x+2 = x-2+4, and divide both the numerator and denominator by (x-2). Now the entire expression contains only (x-2). Now can you simplify this further?.

Hint: use |a|+|b| >= |a+b|
 
Oh wow. That certainly worked out nicely :) I got
[tex]|x-2|<\frac{4\epsilon}{1-\epsilon}.[/tex]

But would that mean we epsilon needs to be chosen so that [tex]0<\epsilon<1[/tex]? But this is a limits question so I guess we're only really concerned about when [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is small.
 
quanticism said:
Oh wow. That certainly worked out nicely :) I got
[tex]|x-2|<\frac{4\epsilon}{1-\epsilon}.[/tex]

But would that mean we epsilon needs to be chosen so that [tex]0<\epsilon<1[/tex]? But this is a limits question so I guess we're only really concerned about when [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is small.

Can you recheck your calculations? Because I got,

[tex]|x-2} < \frac{16\epsilon}{1-4\epsilon}[/tex]

with the way you had defined the problem. Of course its only a matter of redefinition of [tex]\epsilon[/tex], but it is always advisable to use the same notation everywhere.

And yes, since we are working with limits, we are only concerned about when [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is small
 
[tex]|x- 2|< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+ 2|}[/tex]

I would have been inclined to say:

If |x- 2|< 1, then -1< x- 2< 1 so that 3< x+ 2< 5 and |x+ 2|< 5 That means that
[tex]\frac{1}{5}< \frac{1}{|x+ 2|}[/tex]
so that
[tex]\frac{\epsilon}{5}< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+ 2|}[/tex]

That is, as long as |x- 2|< 1, we can take
[tex]\delta= \frac{\epsilon}{5}[/itex]<br /> If |x- 2|< \delta, then it is also less than [itex]\epsilon/5< \epsilon/|x+2|[/itex] and, working backwards, <br /> [tex]\left|\frac{x+1}{x+ 2}- \frac{3}{4}\right|< \epsilon[/tex]<br /> as you wanted.<br /> <br /> and then, working backwards,<br /> [tex]\left|\frac{x+ 1}{x+ 2}- \frac{3}{4}\right|< \epsilon[/tex].<br /> <br /> Of course that "|x- 2|< 1" is also important so we would have to take [itex]\delta[/itex] to be the smaller of [itex]\epsilon/5[/itex] and 1 so that those are both true.[/tex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll show what I did and you can point out any errors/invalid algebraic manipulations.

[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<\epsilon[/tex] ...(1)
[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x-2+4}| < \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{x-2}} <\epsilon[/tex]
Now note that by applying triangle inequality:

[tex]\frac{1}{1+|\frac{4}{x-2}|}} \le \frac{1}{|1+\frac{4}{x-2}}|}[/tex]

So if (1) is true, then
[tex]\frac{1}{1+|\frac{4}{x-2}|} <\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]1+ |\frac{4}{x-2}| >1/\epsilon[/tex] (valid step since both sides are positive)
[tex]\frac{4}{|x-2|} >\frac{1-\epsilon}{\epsilon}[/tex]
[tex]|x-2|<\frac{4\epsilon}{1-\epsilon}[/tex] (once again, both sides were positive)

Typing in latex is rather time consuming. I should probably just use paint and my tablet.
 
HallsofIvy said:
[tex]|x- 2|< \frac{\epsilon}{|x+ 2|}[/tex]

Shouldn't it be |x-2|<e|x+2| ?

But apart from that I think I see where you're going.

If |x-2|<1, then |x+2|<5.

So we have |x-2|<5e<e|x+2| ...(1)

So we pick a [tex]\delta[/tex] to be 5e such that 0<[tex]\delta[/tex]<1 which would work if epsilon was small.

Edit: Opps, (1) should be |x-2|<e|x+2|<5e which isn't really useful.

Edit2: If |x-2|<1, then 3<x+2<5 so 3<|x+2|<5

So we have |x-2|<3e<e|x+2|. Now we can choose delta to be 3e? Can't say I'm too convinced with what I did here though.
 
Last edited:
quanticism said:
I'll show what I did and you can point out any errors/invalid algebraic manipulations.

[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<\epsilon[/tex] ...(1)
[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x-2+4}| < \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]|\frac{1}{1+\frac{4}{x-2}} <\epsilon[/tex]
Now note that by applying triangle inequality:

[tex]\frac{1}{1+|\frac{4}{x-2}|}} \le \frac{1}{|1+\frac{4}{x-2}}|}[/tex]

So if (1) is true, then
[tex]\frac{1}{1+|\frac{4}{x-2}|} <\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]1+ |\frac{4}{x-2}| >1/\epsilon[/tex] (valid step since both sides are positive)
[tex]\frac{4}{|x-2|} >\frac{1-\epsilon}{\epsilon}[/tex]
[tex]|x-2|<\frac{4\epsilon}{1-\epsilon}[/tex] (once again, both sides were positive)

Typing in latex is rather time consuming. I should probably just use paint and my tablet.

Your equation (1) should be

[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<4\epsilon[/tex]

check what you wrote in your first post.
 
praharmitra said:
Your equation (1) should be

[tex]|\frac{x-2}{x+2}|<4\epsilon[/tex]

check what you wrote in your first post.

Ah sorry, you are correct. Guess I was so focused on the x's and epsilons that I forgot about the constant.