Delta-Epsilon Proof: Prove lim_{x\implies 1} \frac{2}{x-3} = -1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
knowLittle
Messages
307
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Prove that
## lim_{x\implies 1} \frac{2}{x-3} = -1 ##

Use delta-epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution


Proof strategy:
## | { \frac{ 2}{x-3} +1 } | < \epsilon #### \frac{x-1}{x-3} < \epsilon ##
, since delta have to be a function of epsilon alone and not include x. I need to restrict delta
## |x-1 | < 1 \leq \delta \\ -3 < x-3 < -1 ##

I know that there's something wrong. Help?

What if I say that
## -2 = x -3 \\ 1 =x \\ \frac{ 1-1}{-2} < \epsilon \\ \delta=min(1, \epsilon)##

Does it make any sense?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
knowLittle said:

Homework Statement


Prove that
## lim_{x\implies 1} \frac{2}{x-3} = -1 ##

Use delta-epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution


Proof strategy:
## | { \frac{ 2}{x-3} +1 } | < \epsilon #### \frac{x-1}{x-3} < \epsilon ##
, since delta have to be a function of epsilon alone and not include x. I need to restrict delta
## |x-1 | < 1 \leq \delta \\ -3 < x-3 < -1 ##

I know that there's something wrong. Help?

You don't know how small [itex]\delta[/itex] may need to be, but you can decide that it's not going to be bigger than 1. That gives you [tex]|x - 1| < \delta \leq 1.[/tex] Now you need [tex] \left| \frac{x - 1}{x - 3 } \right| < \frac{\delta}{|x - 3|} < \epsilon.[/tex] You can ensure that by finding a constant [itex]K > 0[/itex] such that [tex]\frac{\delta}{|x - 3|} < K\delta[/tex] when [itex]|x - 1| < \delta \leq 1[/itex], and insisting that [itex]K\delta < \epsilon[/itex].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
You're almost there, now prove that your choice for delta works.