Solve Limit: $$\lim_{x\to0} \frac{sin(\pi(Cos^2(x)))}{\pi(Cos^2(x))}$$

• Thread starter Nipuna Weerasekara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the limit question is to find the answer to ##\lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {sin(\pi (Cos ^2 (x)))}{x^2}## without using the L'Hopital's law. The method to solve the limit is to use the following four equations: ##\lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {sin(\pi (Cos ^2 (x)))}{x^2}####\lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {\sin(\pi\sin^2x)}{x^2}####\lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {\sin(\pi\sin^2x)}{
Nipuna Weerasekara

Homework Statement

Solve the following limit.
$$\lim_{x\to0} \space \frac {sin(\pi (Cos ^2 (x)))}{\pi (Cos ^2 (x))}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

When I plug ##x\to 0 ## into the limit, I get 0/1... Then what can I do? See here I can't even apply L'Hopital's law... Please help!

Here I see the answer is 0 obviously... But I need to plug this result into another limit question. Which is the real challenge here...
For further guidance,
$$ \lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {sin(\pi (Cos ^2 (x)))}{x^2}$$
This is the limit question... The challenge is to get the answer to this limit by without using the L'Hopital's law...

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually the real question here is to solve the limits question ##\lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {sin(\pi (Cos ^2 (x)))}{x^2}## without using L'Hopital's law...

Found the answer!
Just an easy fix... ##\;\sin(\pi\cos^2x)=\sin(\pi-\pi\sin^2x)=\sin(\pi\sin^2x)##

Likes member 587159
The answer is ##\pi##

Nipuna Weerasekara said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following limit.
$$\lim_{x\to0} \space \frac {sin(\pi (Cos ^2 (x)))}{\pi (Cos ^2 (x))}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

When I plug ##x\to 0 ## into the limit, I get 0/1... Then what can I do? See here I can't even apply L'Hopital's law... Please help!

Here I see the answer is 0 obviously... But I need to plug this result into another limit question. Which is the real challenge here...
For further guidance,
$$ \lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {sin(\pi (Cos ^2 (x)))}{x^2}$$
This is the limit question... The challenge is to get the answer to this limit by without using the L'Hopital's law...

The form 0/1 is perfectly OK; it just gives you 0. The only thing that is forbidden is dividing by 0; dividing 0 by something else nonzero is absolutely allowed, and always gives 0.

If your original question was not the one you were interested in, why did you pose it?

Anyway, if you are not allowed to use l'Hospital's rule, what ARE you allowed to use?

Note added in edit: posts #3 and #4 did not appear on my screen until after I submitted this response.

Likes Nipuna Weerasekara
Ray Vickson said:
The form 0/1 is perfectly OK; it just gives you 0. The only thing that is forbidden is dividing by 0; dividing 0 by something else nonzero is absolutely allowed, and always gives 0.

If your original question was not the one you were interested in, why did you pose it?

Anyway, if you are not allowed to use l'Hospital's rule, what ARE you allowed to use?

Note added in edit: posts #3 and #4 did not appear on my screen until after I submitted this response.

This is not a case whether you are allowed to use the L'Hopital law or not... It is a challenge where you cannot use it. Hence the question gets tricky...
The following shows the method to solve the limit without using the law.
##\lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {sin(\pi (Cos ^2 (x)))}{x^2}##
##\;\sin(\pi\cos^2x)=\sin(\pi-\pi\sin^2x)=\sin(\pi\sin^2x)##
##\lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {\sin(\pi\sin^2x)}{x^2}##
##\lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {\sin(\pi\sin^2x)}{x^2 (\pi\sin^2x)}{(\pi\sin^2x)}##
##x \to 0 \space ## then ## \space \pi \sin^2x \to 0##
##\lim_{\pi \sin^2x \to 0} \space \frac {Sin(\pi \sin^2x)}{\pi \sin^2x} \space \lim_{x\to 0}\space \frac {\pi\sin^2x}{x^2}##
## (1) \space. \space \lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {\pi\sin^2x}{x^2}##
##\pi \space \lim_{x\to0}\space \frac {\sin^2x}{x^2}##
##\pi \space .\space (1)##
##\pi##

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that the function or sequence gets closer and closer to, but may never actually reach.

2. How do you solve a limit?

The general approach to solving a limit is to first try to substitute the given value into the function. If the result is undefined or does not exist, then further analysis is needed. This can include using algebraic manipulations, factoring, or using special limit theorems.

3. How do you solve a limit involving trigonometric functions?

To solve a limit involving trigonometric functions, you can use trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, to simplify the expression. You can also use the fact that sine and cosine functions have well-defined limits as the input approaches 0.

4. What is the limit of the given function?

The limit of the given function is 1. This can be found by using the limit definition of sine and cosine functions, as well as the fact that the limit of cosine squared as the input approaches 0 is 1.

5. When is L'Hopital's rule used to solve a limit?

L'Hopital's rule is used to solve a limit when the limit is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. This rule states that if the limit of the quotient of two functions is an indeterminate form, then the limit of the original functions is equal to the limit of their derivatives.