Easy Perpendicularly-Oriented Polarizers

• Thread starter jacksonpeeble
  • Start date
In summary, when two polarizers are oriented perpendicular to one another, no light is able to pass through as all of it is blocked. To provide a more specific explanation, the working principle of polarizers should be mentioned, including what happens when an unpolarized light beam crosses one polarizer.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Explain what happens when two polarizers are oriented perpendicular to one another.

Homework Equations

(None Known)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well... I would imagine that absolutely no light would get through because all of it would be blocked. The question is not very specific about exactly what it wants to know. Do you guys think that this is correct, or do you have any clarifications/ways to get more specific (or I could be wrong altogether, I suppose)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should say something about the working principle of polarizers. What happens if an unpolarized light beam crosses one polarizer?

ehild

1. What are easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizers?

Easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizers are devices that can selectively filter light waves based on their direction of vibration. They are commonly used in optics and imaging applications to control the polarization of light.

2. How do easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizers work?

Easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizers typically consist of a thin layer of material with microscopic grooves that are aligned in a specific direction. Light waves that are parallel to these grooves can pass through, while light waves that are perpendicular to the grooves are blocked.

3. What are the advantages of using easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizers?

Easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizers offer several advantages, including high efficiency in filtering polarized light, low cost, and ease of use. They also have a wide range of applications in fields such as photography, microscopy, and LCD displays.

4. Can easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizers be used in combination with other optical components?

Yes, easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizers can be used in combination with other optical components, such as lenses and filters, to achieve different optical effects. They can also be stacked together to create a more complex polarizing system.

5. How can I choose the right easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizer for my application?

The most important factors to consider when choosing an easy perpendicularly-oriented polarizer are the wavelength range, polarization efficiency, and transmission properties. It is also important to consider the size and shape of the polarizer to ensure it fits with your optical setup.