If you kick a rolling ball perpendicularly, what happens?

In summary, when a football is kicked perpendicularly to its initial motion, it will travel in a diagonal direction towards the initial motion due to inertia. This is because the force of the kick acts for a short amount of time, giving the ball a velocity vector in both the direction of the kick and the initial motion. In the case of air resistance/friction, the ball will also have a slight curve in its trajectory.
Nerkiot
Hey guys, I've been thinking about inertia/forces for a test I have soon and I've been stumped by a question that the teacher gave us a while ago.

Suppose a football is rolling along the ground and you give it a swift kick in a direction perpendicular to its initial motion. In what direction will it travel if:
a) The ball was initially traveling at a constant speed. (ignore air resistance/friction)
b) The ball was rolling to a stop. (there is air resistance/friction)

Now I think for a) the football will move in the direction of the kick and also veer slightly towards the initial direction due to inertia.
For b) the football will move only in the direction of the kick.

I don't know if I'm right and I can't find a clear explanation on the internet, probably because I'm looking in the wrong places. I know this has something to do with vectors, but I don't see how vectors could explain this, because on one hand you have a velocity vector (the moving ball) and on the other you have a force (the kick).
Can someone please explain what actually happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force acts only while your foot is in contact with the ball, which is a very short amount of time. Afterwards the ball has a velocity vector pointing in both the direction you kicked the ball and the direction the ball was initially moving. Adding these two vectors together will give you a resultant vector which is diagonal to the original movement of the ball.

This would happen in both cases, except the frictional case would make the ball have a slight curve.

What is the scientific explanation for what happens when you kick a rolling ball perpendicularly?

When a rolling ball is kicked perpendicularly, the force from the kick is applied at a 90-degree angle to the direction of motion of the ball. This force causes the ball to change direction, resulting in a curved path.

Why does the ball move in a curved path after being kicked perpendicularly?

The curved path of the ball is due to the principle of inertia. The ball wants to continue moving in a straight line with the same speed and direction, but the force from the kick causes it to change direction.

How does the speed of the ball affect the curved path after being kicked perpendicularly?

The speed of the ball plays a significant role in the curved path it takes after being kicked perpendicularly. A faster-moving ball will travel a longer distance before changing direction, resulting in a wider curve. A slower-moving ball will change direction sooner, resulting in a tighter curve.

What factors can influence the direction of the ball after being kicked perpendicularly?

Aside from the speed of the ball, other factors that can influence its direction include the angle of the kick, the surface of the ball, and any external forces acting on the ball, such as air resistance or friction with the ground.

Is the curved path of the ball after being kicked perpendicularly affected by the mass of the ball?

The mass of the ball does not directly affect the curved path it takes after being kicked perpendicularly. However, a heavier ball may be more difficult to kick perpendicularly, resulting in a different direction and curved path compared to a lighter ball.