1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Physics Concept but I cannot understand

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fluid is flowing from left to right through a pipe (see the drawing). Points A and B are at the same elevation, but the cross-sectional areas of the pipe are different. Points B and C are at different elevations, but the cross-sectional areas are the same. Rank the pressures at the three points, highest to lowest.

I could not attach the image but it looks like this: [ A ]---B--- , where A is thicker than B, and C is way above these two. The answer is A,B,C.

2. Relevant equations

P = F/A
    Bernoulli's Equation maybe?

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that Point C has the lowest pressure because it is elevated. To decipher between A and B, I am using the equation P = F/A. However, this tells me that pressure and area are inversely proportional which would suggest that Point A has a lower pressure than Point B. Where is my logic wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2
    When you say A is thicker, what do you mean? Larger in internal diameter?

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    yes A is larger in diameter than B.

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4
    So what can you say about the velocities at A and B?

6. Apr 22, 2012 #5
    The velocity at Point B will be greater than the velocity at Point A because area and velocity are inversely proportional according to A1v1 = A2v2.

7. Apr 22, 2012 #6
    Now looking at Bernoulli's equation, what does that tell you about pressures at A and B?

8. Apr 22, 2012 #7
    I see it now!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook