Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Easy Physics Concept but I cannot understand

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fluid is flowing from left to right through a pipe (see the drawing). Points A and B are at the same elevation, but the cross-sectional areas of the pipe are different. Points B and C are at different elevations, but the cross-sectional areas are the same. Rank the pressures at the three points, highest to lowest.

I could not attach the image but it looks like this: [ A ]---B--- , where A is thicker than B, and C is way above these two. The answer is A,B,C.

2. Relevant equations

P = F/A
    Bernoulli's Equation maybe?

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that Point C has the lowest pressure because it is elevated. To decipher between A and B, I am using the equation P = F/A. However, this tells me that pressure and area are inversely proportional which would suggest that Point A has a lower pressure than Point B. Where is my logic wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2
    When you say A is thicker, what do you mean? Larger in internal diameter?

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    yes A is larger in diameter than B.

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4
    So what can you say about the velocities at A and B?

6. Apr 22, 2012 #5
    The velocity at Point B will be greater than the velocity at Point A because area and velocity are inversely proportional according to A1v1 = A2v2.

7. Apr 22, 2012 #6
    Now looking at Bernoulli's equation, what does that tell you about pressures at A and B?

8. Apr 22, 2012 #7
    I see it now!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook